Agencies, Boards, Commissions and Corporations (ABCCs) > Ontario Business Corporation Act (OBCA Corporations)
Build Toronto Corporation Board of Directors
The mandate of Build Toronto is to unlock the value in under-utilized lands and use the available City and ABC (agencies, boards and commissions) land base to attract targeted industries, stimulate the creation of desirable employment, and regenerate neighbourhoods.
Build Toronto Corporation was established by City Council in October 2008 under the authority of the City of Toronto Act, Ontario Regulation 609/06. Build Toronto is incorporated under the Ontario Business Corporations Act, with the City of Toronto as its sole shareholder.
The board of directors is responsible for supervising the management of the business and affairs of the Corporation, including the following specific activities:
- developing City and ABC (agencies, boards and commissions) surplus lands and excess real estate with development potential
- working with other sectors in urban regeneration
- remediating brownfields
- catalyst development
- recommending to the City optimal use of City real estate holdings
- using financial incentive tools as provided by the City
"Developing" is intended to imply a wide range of activities focused on unlocking value including acquisition and disposition of properties, project management, financing, environmental remediation, planning and rezoning and joint ventures with other private and public sector organizations.
Term of office
Two years with a renewal term of two years (without recruitment, with full recruitment every four years).
The Board has a total of 11 members comprising:
- the Mayor as Chair, or a member of City Council who the Mayor recommends as his designate and is appointed by City Council who shall be Vice-Chair;
- the Chair of City Council's Economic Development Committee as appointed by City Council;
- the Chair of City Council's Planning and Growth Management Committee as appointed by City Council; and
- 8 residents of Toronto who are not elected officials or employees of the City or any of its agencies or corporations, one of whom shall be the Chair if the Mayor is not the Chair.
The board meets monthly or at the call of the Chair.