Toronto Animal Services - Pet Adoption
Thank you for considering pet adoption of a homeless animal! Get ready for a rewarding experience that can last for a very long time. The pets at Toronto Animal Services are available to you because they were abandoned, lost or had to be surrendered. But these animals can be every bit as loving with you as they once were with their previous owners…and they need you too.
Dogs, cats, small mammals and birds are available for adoption. It's easy to see the current animals available. If you would like to know more information about an animal, click on the picture.
Most adoptions are done at one of our Animals Care Centres. The animal information is updated every 60 minutes during hours of operation. We cannot guarantee that all animals listed will be available when you visit, but we can guarantee that you’ll be able to look at many pets that are available.
Toronto Animals Services also works with pet adoption partners to re-home animals. Here is a list of retailers where you can also adopt a pet from us.
- Are you ready for a new pet? (PDF)
- Preparing your home for a new pet (PDF)
- View and adopt the current available animals
How to adopt
Toronto Animal Services staff are ready to assist you in finding your perfect match. You will fill out a questionnaire that is used to make this process easier. If you already own a dog and you are interested in adopting another one, staff will ask you to bring your dog to the shelter to meet the potential new dog. It’s a good idea for all family members to meet your any new pet before the adoption is finalized. In most cases, you will be able to take your new pet home that same day.
Fees for adopting an animal are as follows:
The adoption fees include a veterinary health check, vaccinations, sterilization, a microchip and rabies vaccination.
- Adult cats or kittens are $75.00 plus all taxes and $15.00 annual licence fee (discount available to senior citizens).
- Adult dogs or puppies are $125.00 plus all taxes and $25.00 annual licence fee (discount available to senior citizens) and a one time sterilization recovery fee plus all taxes ($60.00 for neutered male dogs and $90.00 for spayed female dogs).
Details – hours, payment options and other requirements
- You will be asked to provide a driver’s licence or I.D. with your current address
- Payment can be made in the form of cash, debit, Visa, Mastercard or American Express
- Adoption hours are Monday through Sunday 10:30 am to 6:30 pm. Closed on Statutory Holidays
- Check our website frequently – new pets are posted every day
What if you do everything right and your new pet turns out to be the wrong match?
At Toronto Animal Services, we want you and your new pet to be happy with each other. As someone considering a commitment that will last for the life time of your pet, you will have taken all the steps that are necessary to prepare for this and to ensure you are ready. This usually means that your new pet will fit in well with you and your family, sometimes after some initial tweaking! However, if this turns out not to be the case, you will be able to return the animal to us.
I want to check animals available for adoption.