ACCESSORY BUILDING - A subordinate building or structure that is devoted exclusively to the use naturally and normally incidental to the main use of the property and is located in a yard appurtenant to the main building.
BASEMENT - A storey of a dwelling which is below ground level, and includes a cellar.
DWELLING - A building or structure, or any part of it, occupied or capable of being lawfully occupied, in whole or in part, for the purpose of human habitation and includes a dwelling unit and a building that would be used for this purpose except for its state of disrepair.
GROUND COVER - Any suitable material applied to the ground to prevent erosion of the soil and includes concrete, flagstone, gravel, asphalt, grass or other form of landscaping.
HABITABLE ROOM - A room in a dwelling designed, lawfully used or capable of being lawfully used for living, sleeping, cooking or eating purposes.
MIXED-USE BUILDING - A building lawfully used in part for residential purposes and in part for non-residential purposes.
MULTIPLE-DWELLING - A building or part of a building containing three or more dwelling units.
NON-HABITABLE FLOOR AREA:
A room in a building or a dwelling unit other than a habitable room, and includes:
- A bathroom, toilet room, laundry, pantry, lobby, corridor, stairway, closet or boiler room.
- Any part of a room having a clear ceiling height of less than 1.4 metres.
- Other service and maintenance space of a dwelling for public use or access to and vertical travel between storeys.
NON-RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY - Land, a building or structure used or capable of being used for other than residential purposes.
OCCUPANT - Any person or persons over the age of 18 years in possession of the property.
OWNER - Includes:
- The person for the time being managing or receiving the rent of the land or premises in connection with which the word is used, whether on the person's own account or as agent or trustee of any other person, or who would receive the rent if the land and premises were let; and
- A lessee or occupant of the property who, under the terms of a lease, is required to repair and maintain the property in accordance with the standards for the maintenance and occupancy of property.
PROPERTY - A building or structure or part of a building or structure, and includes the lands and premises appurtenant thereto and all mobile homes, mobile buildings, mobile structures, outbuildings, fences and erections thereon whether heretofore or hereafter erected, and includes vacant property.
REPAIR - Includes the provision of facilities, the making of additions or alterations or the taking of any other action that may be required to ensure that a property conforms with the standards established in a by-law passed under this section.
RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY - Land, a building or structure used, capable of being of being used, designed or intended for residential use.
SEWAGE SYSTEM - The City sanitary sewer system or a private sewage disposal system approved by the City.
STANDARDS - The standards for the maintenance and occupancy prescribed for property in this chapter.
VEHICLE - Includes a motor vehicle, trailer, traction engine, farm tractor, roadbuilding machine, bicycle and any vehicle drawn, propelled or driven by any kind of power, including muscular power.
YARD - The part of the lot unoccupied by the main building and includes vacant land.