The Guild of All Arts
In 1932, H. Spencer and Rosa Clark established an artist collective, the Guild of All Arts, on the
Scarborough Bluffs, which focused on their interests in arts and crafts, health and nutrition, alternative education, and co-operative movements. During World War II, the federal government used the site to train the Women's Royal Naval Service and as a military hospital.
After the war, the Clarks had difficulties reviving the colony, and with the formation of Metropolitan Toronto in 1953, they faced a big tax hike,leading to redevelopment of much of the site as Guildwood Village, a planned residential community. The Clarks scaled down their activities and focused on operating the Guild Inn, constructing a seven-storey addition, with guestrooms, conference rooms and a banquet hall.