The Bicycle Friendly Business Awards are given out every year to businesses and organizations across Toronto who are making an effort to encourage their clients and employees to cycle. Previous award winners have proven their commitment to cycling through a variety of initiatives such as providing secure bike parking, shower and change facilities, and offering economic incentives for employees who cycle to work.
The awards recognize that the more people ride their bikes, the more we will notice a reduction in traffic congestion and pollution, making Toronto a greener and healthier place to live, work, and play.
This is just one program of the Toronto Bike Plan, a vision for the future of cycling in the city. By recognizing innovative approaches with the promotion of cycling, the City of Toronto and the Toronto Cycling Committee will work with the private sector to help achieve the goal of the Toronto Bike Plan: to double the number of bicycle trips made in Toronto by 2011.
Learn how to integrate cycling into your workplace.
Find out about cycling at the workplace by visiting the Bicycle User Group Network site.
This year, the BFBA panel of judges will be made up of recipients from the 2008 awards. Previous award winners are in a unique position to offer their own expertise from their experiences with integrating cycling into the workplace.
Judges will consider the countless ways to encourage cycling, looking for creative approaches, including the following suggestions:
- Secure/monitored bicycle parking
- Shower and change facilities on-site
- Discounts for cyclists
- Employee training in bike safety and mechanics (such as CAN-BIKE courses)
- Participate in Bike Month events
- Support for cycling events and functions
- Employees who cycle to work
- Cyclist-friendly dress code
- Use of bicycle services (e.g. bicycle couriers, bike trailer deliveries)
- Encouragement of cycling through employee programs and events
- Existence or formation of a Bicycle User Group (BUG)
For more information about the Bicycle Friendly Business Awards call 416-338-5086.
Bicycle Friendly Business Awards
East York Civic Centre
850 Coxwell Avenue, 1st floor
Toronto, ON M4C 5R1