What is Early Identification?
Early childhood experiences play an important role in your child's ability to form relationships, control emotions, and learn now and in the future.
As a parent/caregiver, you know your child best and can observe and identify possible developmental concerns. The earlier concerns are identified the more you can do to help your child reach their full potential.Early Identification is about:
- child growth and development
- giving each child the opportunity to reach their full potential
- identifying developmental concerns early
- providing services early to meet the individual needs of the child
How do I know if my child is developing well?
As your child grows, you can watch their development by using the following screening tools from the Toronto Preschool Speech and Language Services:
You can also use:
What can I do to support my child's development?
You can support your child's development by:
Where can I get more information/services?
Toronto Public Health provides the following free early identification services to parents/caregivers of children from 0 to 6 years of age:
- screening and monitoring for healthy child development
- telephone support and home visiting by Public Health Nurses and Family Home Visitors
- referrals to appropriate services
For more information, please call:
Toronto Health Connection
Monday to Friday
8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Last updated September 2011