The TTC considered six potential sites for the new LRV Maintenance and Storage facility. Each of these sites met the TTC's needs in terms of size of site and location.
- Ashbridges Bay: South-east corner of Leslie Street and Lake Shore Boulevard East.
- Eastern Avenue: Between Eastern Avenue and Lake Shore Boulevard East, east of Heward Avenue.
- TEDCO: North side of Unwin Avenue, east of Regatta Road.
- Cascade: South side of Commissioner’s Street, east of Bouchette Street.
- Concrete Plant: South-west corner of Leslie Street and Commissioner’s Street.
- Hearn Generating Plant: North side of Unwin Avenue, east of Site 3.
A series of three Public Open Houses were held on June 16, 17 and 18, 2009.
Public Meeting Notice (PDF)
will need to have the FREE Acrobat
Reader to view some of the files.
The information presented at the public meetings is below:
The commenting period closed on June 25, 2009. Thank you to all residents who sent comments. Approximately 200 comments were received. The majority focused on opposition to the Eastern Avenue site which was not selected.
The six potential sites were evaluated based on property size, community considerations, operational issues, cost and potential for the site to be in service by 2013. Three sites (Ashbridge's Bay, Eastern Avenue and TEDCO - Unwin Avenue) best met those criteria. Of these, the Ashbridge's Bay site has been identified as the preferred location for the new facility, based on:
- proximity to an existing streetcar line (Queen Street);
- vacancy, and ability to meet 2013 completion date;
- property size;
- existing industrial and commercial land uses;
- community feedback
Feedback from the community received during the initial consultation period generally supports this recommendation. The majority of commenters were strongly opposed to the Eastern Avenue site.
Preliminary conceptual drawings of layouts and elevations for the facility at this location were presented to a meeting of the Portlands Action Committee on September 17, 2009.
Update Presentation, September 17, 2009 (PDF)
City Council approved the acquisition of this site from the Toronto Port Authority for TTC purposes at their meeting on November 30 and December 1, 2009.
The Toronto Transit Commission approved the Ashbridges Bay site at their meeting on December 16, 2009.
Return to Project main page