City Clerk's staff identify applicants who are not eligible because they have not met the eligibility criteria or have submitted the application late. Incomplete applications are noted, so please make sure you complete your application form.
The board nominating panel is made up of Members of Council. The panel reviews the applications to determine whether it needs more information about any candidate.
The nominating panel decides which applicants to interview based on the qualifications.
Current board members are evaluated in the same way and by the same criteria as new candidates, but the nominating panel may also consider the results of any board member evaluation process.
Staff will contact short-listed candidates for an interview.
When will I hear back?
Once the nominating panel decides on a short-list, staff contact applicants to arrange interviews. It is difficult to estimate how long the process will take, but it can take several months. If you will be away, you may want to give us alternate contact information for you.
At the end of the process, everyone who applies will be notified of who Council has appointed.
Is there a test?
Occasionally: if written or other test is required, a staff review team will develop and administer the test to all short-listed candidates.
- only the averaged total scores for each candidate will be made available to the nominating panel on the day of the interview (or to Council if requested)
As part of the selection process, the nominating panel will try to achieve a balance of:
- qualified applicants covering the range of qualifications specified for the board
- experienced and new members
- geographic representation, and
- representation of the diversity and demographics of the community, including age, gender, sexual orientation, aboriginal status, race and disability.