Planning Guide – Signature Special Event
A one off sporting, cultural or other type of special event that impacts the municipality or region and attracts a large number of international and domestic visitors and participants with a high global media profile with a substantial economic and business benefit for the host destination.
Characteristics may include but not be limited to:
- Use of multiple local and regional venues or sites;
- Utilization of 3 or more hotels;
- Over 1,000,000 expected attendance;
- Multiple levels of government coordination;
- Cost of over $200,000 in City services, staff time and equipment use; and
- Provides the City of Toronto with media/branding opportunities via television, radio, or print advertising.
Examples: G-20 Summit, World Youth Days, 2015 Pan-Am/Para-Pan Games
Example 6: Toronto has been chosen to play host to a World Youth Days attracting over 100,000 people to our City. Events will be held across the city over a week period and involve major dignitaries, a parade of thousands and an open air mass.
Based on this information, the group would be required to:
- Contact the City of Toronto Special Events, Event Support unit to discuss your event design and requirements at least 2 years from the proposed date(s) of the event as these events can require a multitude of City services
- In some cases a dedicated staff person(s) or Secretariat will be established to liaise with the event