Planning and Organizational Tips
The key to a successful event is preparation! Here are some helpful hints and a checklist to utilize when planning your event:
- Start early and develop a work-back schedule and budget!
- Develop an event concept, business plan and site plan – this will enable you to determine what services, permits and permissions you require.
- Secure your venues and facilities early, the majority of City venues start taking booking request a year in advance and larger conference facilities up to 10 years in advance.
- The larger the event, or the more complex it is, the more time you will need and the more elements should be included in your work-back schedule and your budget.
- Most applications for government funding are due a year prior to your event.
- Obtain copies of applications, forms and guidelines early to ensure you comprehend the requirements – note deadlines and approval timelines.
- Prepare the most detailed site plan you can.
- Speak to your insurance broker about coverage for special events