This section includes comprehensive climate adaptation strategies and reports related to such strategies.
Sub-categories are based on country, or organization that produced the documents.
You'll need the free Adobe
Acrobat reader to view PDF files.
Asian Development Bank
Documents related to "Climate Proofing" program:
Documents from the Australian Greenhouse Office's climate change adaptation program:
- Australian Greenhouse Office. (2007). Climate Change Adaptation Actions for Local Government. Report by SMEC Australia to the Australian Greenhouse Office, Department of the Environment and Water Resources.
- Australian Greenhouse Office. (2005). Climate Change Risk and Vulnerability: Promoting an Efficient Adaptation Response in Australia. Report for the Australian Greenhouse Office, Department of Environment and Heritage, by the Allen Consulting Group.
- Australian Greenhouse Office. (2006). Climate Change Impacts & Risk Management: A Guide for Business and Government. Prepared for the Australian Greenhouse Office, Department of Environment and Heritage by: Broadleaf Capital International, Marsden Jacob Associates.
Climate SMART Program
Documents developed through Halifax Regional Municipality’s "Climate SMART" program:
- Halifax Regional Municipality. (2006). HRM Climate SMART: Community Action Guide to Climate Change and Emergency Preparedness. Halifax Regional Municipality, Naturally Green, Government of Canada, Federation of Canadian Municipalities, Government of Nova Scotia, ClimAdapt Network.
- Halifax Regional Municipality. (2007). Climate Change: Developer’s Risk Management Guide. Halifax Regional Municipality, Naturally Green, Government of Canada, Federation of Canadian Municipalities, Government of Nova Scotia, and the ClimAdapt Network.
- Sawyer, D., 7 Cuddihy, J. (2007). Economic Implications of Buries Electric Utilities. Ottawa: Marbek Resource Consultants. Submitted to Dillon Consulting, Halifax.
- Halifax Regional Municipality. (2007). Climate SMART: Climate Change Risk Management Strategy for Halifax Regional Municipality. Halifax Regional Municipality, Government of Canada, Governt of Nova Scotia, Federation of Canadian Municipalities, Dillon Consulting, de Romilly & de Romilly, Ltd., ClimAdapt network. Halifax, NS.
Documents from Keene, New Hampshire's cooperative effort with ICLEI in the development of a climate change adaptation program:
- City of Keene, New Hampshire. (2007). Keene, New Hampshire. Adapting to Climate Change: Planning a Climate Resilient Community. Prepared by City of Keene, New Hampshire in association with ICLEI Local Governments for Sustainability.
- City of Keene, New Hampshire. (--). Keene, New Hampshire. Climate Adaptation Action Plan: Summary Report. Prepared by City of Keene, New Hampshire in association with ICLEI Local Governments for Sustainability.
Documents related to King County, Washington, USA's comprehensive climate change adaptation program:
- Snover, A.K., L. Whitely Binder, J. Lopez, E. Willmott, J. Kay, D. Howell, and J. Simmonds. 2007. Preparing for Climate Change: A Guidebook for Local, Regional, and State Governments. In association and published by ICLEI – Local Governments for Sustainability, Oakland, CA.
- King County. (2008). 2007 King County Climate Report: February 2008. Seattle: King County.
- King County. (2007). 2007 King County Climate Plan: February 2007. Seattle: King County.
- Caslola, J.H., J.E. Kay, A.K. Snover, R.A. Norheim, L.C. Whitely Binder and the Climate Impacts Group. (2005). Climate Impacts on Washington’s Hydropower, Water Supply, Forests, Fish and Agriculture. A report prepared fro King County (Washington) by the Climate Impacts Group (Center fro Science in the Earth System, Joint Institute for the Study of the Atmosphere and Ocean, University of Washington, Seattle).
"Mainstreaming Adaptation to Climate Change" – the Caribbean approach to climate change adaptation. Link to ongoing project at http://www.oas.org/macc/
Maryland Department of Environment
Maryland Department of Environment. (2008). Climate Change Action Plan. Maryland Commission on Climate Change, Maryland. Department of the Environment, Baltimore, Maryland, USA, August 2008
Documents from the New Zealand Ministry for the Environment's program on climate change adaptation:
Northern Ireland – Department of the Environment
Documents from Northern Ireland's Department of the Environment on climate change adaptation:
New Brunswick & Fredericton
- Dalton, S., Riley, M., Richards, W. & LeBlanc, G. (2008). Climate Change Adaptation Strategy: City of Fredericton – Stakeholder Input. ETF Project Number 070280. Final Report. Submitted to: New Brunswick Department of Environment, by Environment and Sustainable Development Research Centre (ESDRC) in association with Riley Environment Limited, Environment Canada, Fredericton Area Watershed Association.
- New Brunswick. (2008). Climate Change Action Plan 2007-2008 Progress Report. The Foundation Year: Be Smart! Take Action on Climate Change. Government of New Brunswick.
Sheltair Group (Vancouver)
Documents from the City of Vancouver and Sheltair Group's work on urban sustainability and climate change adaptation:
- The Sheltair Group. (2003). Climate Change Impacts and Adaptation Strategies for Urban Systems in Greater Vancouver: Volume one: Preliminary Assessment. Vancouver: The Sheltair Group. Prepared for Natural Resources Canada.
- The Sheltair Group. (2003). Climate Change Impacts and Adaptation Strategies for Urban Systems in Greater Vancouver: Volume 2: Influence Diagrams of Potential Climate Change Impacts and Illustrative Adaptation Strategies by Urban System. Vancouver: The Sheltair Group. Prepared for Natural Resources Canada.
Work on climate change adaptation from Laurentian University in Sudbury (Ontario, Canada):
Town and Country Planning Association (TCPA), London, UK
Town and Country Planning Association (TCPA) documents on climate change adaptation:
- Shaw, R., Colley, M., and Connell, R. (2007). Climate Change Adaptation by Design: A Guide for Sustainable Communities. London, UK: TCPA.
Summary: The key messages from this report include: The need to implement adaptation measures now because the climate is already changing; Planners, urban designers, architects, and developers should take into account predicted climates at the design stage of any new development, refurbishment or regeneration program to help communities adapt; Climate change is a fast-moving policy area, and climate change adaptation is increasingly a requirement of national planning and design guidance; There are significant opportunities to create or remodel outdoor spaces and buildings that are resilient to future climates; Adaptation will enhance the livability of, and quality of life in, communities in future; Climate change presents opportunities to develop new services and products that respond to changing customer preferences; Evidence of 'climate-proofing' can enhance an organization's reputation with its stakeholders. Adaptation can also protect investments, reduce health risks, and reduce insurance costs, and climate change adaptation is an essential component of sustainable development.
Documents from the Tyndall Centre (UK) on assessing climate change impacts, and adapting to climate change impacts in small-island states:
- Dawson, R.J., Hall, J.W., Barr, S., Batty, M., Bristow, A., Carney, S., Evans, S., Ford, A., Köhler, J., Tight, M., Walsh, C. (2007). A Blueprint for the Integrated Assessment of Climate Change in Cities. United Kingdom: Tyndall Centre for Climate Change Research.
- Tompkins, E., Nicholson-Cole, S., Hurlston, L., Boyd, E., Hodge, G., Clarke, J., Gray, G., Trotz, N., and Varlack, L., (2005). Surviving Climate Change in Small Islands – A Guide Book. United Kingdom: Tyndall Centre for Climate Change Research.
Documents from the UK Climate Impacts Programme on climate change adaptation:
- UKCIP. (2003). Climate Change and Local Communities: How Prepared are You? Oxford: UKCIP.
- Willows, R.I., & Connell, R.K. (Eds.). (2003). Climate Adaptation: Risk Uncertainty and Decision Making. UKCIP Technical Report. Oxford: UKCIP.
Documents from the United Nations Environment Programme on methods for climate change adaptation: