The STEP program is designed to incrementally build the capacity of property owners to undertake increasingly substantial projects, and to outline the support that is available to property owners from the City of Toronto and other partners.
Recognizing that building owners will engage in renewal projects at varying levels of capacity and participation, the STEP program outlines tasks required and related considerations for specific projects.
The STEP Program - Toolkits and Checklists
The STEP program resources include a toolkit and a checklist of tasks for each STEP component. These resources describe how building owners can receive support from City staff and information about City programs and initiatives as well as from other Tower Renewal partners. You can access the checklist or toolkit for each component below.
NB: The STEP Checklist forms can be completed and saved. To ensure that the forms save correctly, please click on the desired form, save the file to your desktop and reopen it in Adobe Reader before entering any information.
|STEP Toolkits:||STEP Checklists:|
This program is grounded in findings from the pilot sites and from similar tower renewal activities in other places of the world. Recognizing that buildings will engage in the Tower Renewal program at varying levels of capacity and participation, the STEP program is intended to:
- identify a step-by-step process for incrementally building the capacity of building owners and other stakeholders to undertake increasingly substantial Tower Renewal projects
- outline the tasks required and the related considerations for specific Tower Renewal projects
- identify opportunities for supportive roles by City of Toronto Divisions and other partners for each potential Tower Renewal project.
The STEP program will expand Tower Renewal's transformative impacts to an expected 1000 Toronto apartment buildings, including private for-profit and non-profit buildings. It will be guided by five key principles:
- Inclusive - STEP will be created in a way that allows it be applied to any Toronto apartment building.
- Incremental Growth - Each stage of STEP builds upon the actions/measures of the previous stage.
- Consistent and Complementary - The City of Toronto is involved in a wide range of activities that relate to Tower Renewal. STEP is intended to work in consistent and complementary ways with existing programs and strategies.
- Meaningful - STEP will provide a clear path to achieving the goals and objectives of Tower Renewal.
- Flexible - STEP will be designed so that it can be adjusted as time passes to reflect updated standards and emerging concerns.
For more information see the Implementation Book.Back to top