What is a Municipal Class Environmental Assessment?
The Don River and Central Waterfront Class Environmental Assessment (Class EA) study is being undertaken in accordance with the requirements of the Ontario Environmental Assessment Act (Municipal Engineers Association Municipal Class Environmental Assessment process, 2000, as amended in 2007).
The Class Environmental Assessment process is a decision-making and planning process that ensures that potential effects of a project are identified and managed prior to implementation. It applies to routine public sector projects that have predictable and manageable environmental effects, such as municipal water and wastewater projects.
The Class EA process is a self-assessment process that includes five phases that must be followed to ensure that the best approach is identified to address a specific problem. The process requires the evaluation of possible solutions, design concepts, and recommends the best approach based on a rigorous evaluation of environmental effects and how to minimize them.
The Don River and Central Waterfront Class EA study is being conducted as a Municipal Class Environmental Assessment study, Schedule C Project, and it is required to complete all five phases of the Class EA process. These include:
- Phase 1 – Defining the problem or opportunity
- Phase 2 - Identifying and evaluating alternative solutions to address the problem and establishing the preferred solution
- Phase 3 – Examining alternative design concepts for the preferred solution and establishing a preferred design concept, as well as identifying measures to minimize any adverse effects
- Phase 4 – Preparing an Environmental Study Report which summarizes the rationale, planning, design and consultation process for the Project
- Phase 5 – Implementation of the Project
Stakeholder consultation is an important component of the Class EA process, and there are requirements for mandatory notification and consultation with the public, agencies, and other stakeholders at key phases of the process.
Upon completion of Phases 1 to 3 of the Class EA process, an Environmental Study Report must be prepared that documents the study process and its findings. The Environmental Study Report must be submitted to the Ontario Ministry of the Environment, along with a Notice of Study Completion, for a 30-day public review period.Back to top