Notice: The Licence and Permit Issuing Office at the East York Civic Centre is closed.

Permit information and inquiries can be sent to

Buskers play music or otherwise perform for voluntary donations on the streets in the former City of Toronto only.

Examples of buskers:

  • singers
  • jugglers
  • mimes

Sidewalk artists occupy sidewalk areas to create works of art for public viewing.

Applicants must complete an application form.

In order to apply for a permit, the applicant has to apply in person at the Municipal Licensing office with all the required documents and payment (cash, debit, MasterCard, Visa, cheque). The permit is issued the same day.

The busker and  sidewalk artist permit is granted for artistic activities. The permit holder must not advertise or promote any commercial initiative.

Busking is not allowed in City of Toronto Parks

Additional information is available on the City of Toronto website.