At City Council, on July 20, 2004, Council enacted Bylaw 725-2004 which stated that the only document that may be issued for parking on private property without the owner's consent would be a City parking infraction notice issued under the Provincial Offences Act. This bylaw was challenged by Municipal Parking Corporation and Imperial Parking (Impark) in 2006.

In a ruling in Sept 2007, the Ontario Court of Appeal decision has ruled that Bylaw 725-204 that prohibits private parking lot operators from issuing their own tickets (non-City Parking Tags or "look-a-like tickets") is back in effect. Therefore they can only issue City of Toronto Parking Tags. The bylaw won't apply to one large company, Impark, because motorists who use their lots agree to the "contracts" posted there.

In September, 2007, the Ontario Court of Appeal ruled that Impark had the right to charge vehicles that overstay. Impark lots post clear signs advising that if a car has no valid ticket or pass, the rate is $69.55 a day and the vehicle can be towed. This signage serves as a contract' between the two parties so that when a person overstays they've agreed to pay the higher amount. It is not considered trespassing' because Impark gives "consent" to parking in its lots even if drivers don't pay in advance. The fee of $69.55 that is applied reflects the agreement to pay the higher amount posted for overstaying; it is not a parking infraction.

Parking lots other than Impark CAN issue City tags, provided that they have been licensed as Private Parking Enforcement Agencies (PPEAs) by Municipal Licensing & Standards; and, by doing so, also tow vehicles. Money collected from the tags goes to the City. (It should be noted that apart from Impark, any company that issues any document for payment other than Parking Infraction Notice is in breach of the City bylaw, Toronto Municipal Code Chapter 545, and can be charged.)The Toronto Police Services also needs to approve the Municipal Law Enforcement Officers to issue the approved document (ticket).

If someone has a complaint about receiving a ticket by an unlicenced PPEA contact 311 to submit a complaint for investigation by Municipal Licensing & Standards.

If you have received a "look-a-like" parking ticket, and are looking for advice about whether you should pay the ticket, you should speak with someone who is trained in law, ie. a lawyer, as this is a civil matter.

For more information about which businesses are regulated by the City, visit the City of Toronto website.