A rooming house can include a house, apartment or building where four or more people that pay individual rent share a kitchen and/or washroom.

In order for the property to be used as a rooming house, it must be zoned as such, located within the former city of Toronto or Etobicoke boundaries and licensed by the City.

If you wish to file a complaint about a licensed/unlicensed rooming house within the boundary of the former City of Toronto or a suspected illegal rooming house, contact 311 to submit a service request.

For fire safety concerns and mandatory regulations, you may also wish to contact Toronto Fire Services for investigation.

For more information on rooming houses, visit the City of Toronto website.

Related information: