Air conditioning (maximum temperatures):

Air Conditioning should go on, if provided/supplied by the property owner, from June 2nd to Sept. 14th to maintain an indoor temperature of not more than 26 degrees Celsius. Municipal Licensing & Standards is unable to take any action outside of these dates.

If an air conditioner is broken, a landlord is required to either fix it or replace it. There is no requirement for a landlord to install an air conditioner. For issues regarding request from landlord to tenant to remove an a/c unit, tenant should check lease agreement to see if any restrictions exist. This issue doesn't fall under Property Standards bylaw.

If you have concerns about air conditioning in your rental unit, please speak to your landlord or property manager. You should make your request in writing to the landlord by completing a work order or a Standard Maintenance Request.

No building permit is required to install a window air conditioner in a rental unit or privately owned home, but tenants should consult their lease agreement to determine if they are permitted in their units.

If the issue is not addressed within a reasonable amount of time, you can contact 311 to file a complaint. A service request will be submitted for investigation by Municipal Licensing & Standards.

No or low heat
No heat/low heat complaints for commercial properties are not covered under the municipal regulations. Refer to the Ministry of Labour for heat complaints in commercial properties. The bylaw ONLY applies to residential properties.

Additional details on low or no heat/other vital services in rental units are available on the City of Toronto website.

Heating (Minimum temperatures)
A landlord is responsible for providing heat to a residential dwelling at a minimum of 21 degrees Celsius between September 15 and June 1 of each year. There are time periods during this stretch of time when the weather can be a bit warmer (September 15 to October 15 and May to June 1), which can cause the temperature indoors to be above 21 degrees Celsius, resulting in uncomfortable living conditions for tenants.

If the weather outside means that apartment units are 21 degrees Celsius without heat, property owners and landlords can turn the heat off.

If the heating/ventilation system is out of service and currently being repaired/maintained, this is NOT a violation and no investigation is required.

If you have concerns about the heating or cooling in your rental unit, you should inform the superintendent, the property and/or the proper owner in writing.

If the issue is not addressed within a reasonable amount of time, you can contact 311 to file a complaint. A service request will be submitted for investigation by Municipal Licensing & Standards.

Note: The Heating By-law does not apply to common areas (hallways, stairwells, building entrances, etc). The By-law only applies to the dwelling unit. If there is heating equipment in common areas, so long as the equipment is in good working order (Property Standards By-law requirement), there is no minimum temperature that applies to these areas.

Complaints about no/low heat for commercial properties should be referred to the Ministry of Labour under the Occupational Health and Safety Act.

Bylaw information
Chapter 629 - 38 Heating and air conditioning (full details are available on the City of Toronto website: )

A. Every heating and air-conditioning system or unit shall be kept in good repair and maintained in good working condition at all times relevant to the operation of that system.

G. All air conditioners and other water-cooled equipment shall be equipped with proper devices for the prevention of condensation drainage or discharge onto sidewalks, walkways, driveways and entrance areas or other areas used for pedestrian or vehicular traffic.

H. The devices provided under Subsection G shall be configured so as not to cause damage to the walls or foundations or other parts of a building.

If the condo unit is owner occupied Municipal Licensing & Standards (ML&S) will NOT investigate a complaint about the condition of that unit.

If you are a tenant in a condo unit, contact the condo unit owner. If the situation is not resolved within a reasonable period of time, contact 311 to submit a service request for investigation.

If you are a condominium unit owner and the entire condo building has no heat,  ML&S will not investigate, contact your condo board and/or property manager.

Related information: