To submit a service request for an animal noise complaint, contact 311.

Animal Services will contact the animal owner to educate them about the noise bylaw, Toronto Municipal Code Chapter 591. Without the address of the dog owner Animal Services cannot address the issue.

Please note that persistent barking, calling or whining or other similar persistent noise-making by any animal kept or used for any purpose is prohibited at all times.

The bylaw is in place to help citizens deal with excessive noise, however we must be able to satisfy the Courts that the noise is in fact excessive/persistent. Noise in itself is not illegal, and barking dogs is an everyday occurrence, and we must exercise a reasonable degree of tolerance.

Animal Services recognizes that there are times when the noise may be excessive/persistent and long in duration and that legal action may be necessary. Therefore, in order to assist residents with their complaint, Animal Services will require detailed information (e.g. written notes) that will allow us to demonstrate to the offender (and possibly the Courts) that the noise is in fact excessive.

In the event that legal action is necessary, Animal Services will require the resident being disturbed by the barking provide evidence regarding the noise and how it is affecting the resident's quality of life.

A noise package, which includes a Record of Noise Disturbance, will be sent to the complainant to document/establish that the noise (barking) is excessive - beyond normal animal behaviour - and that the noise is disturbing their peace, rest, enjoyment, comfort or convenience. The person completing the Record of Noise Disturbance will be required to appear in court to testify to their documentation.

Additional details on Animal Services are available on the City of Toronto website.