Note - Noise Bylaw Review: The City of Toronto is reviewing the Noise Bylaw and wants to hear from you. Attend public consultations from January 28 - February 6, 2019 and share your feedback on developing updates to the bylaw.

News release - January 21, 2019: City of Toronto invites residents to consultations on noise bylaw review

Noise is defined as any unwanted sound. Toronto Municipal Code Chapter 591 requires that no person shall make, cause or permit noise or vibration at any time, which is likely to disturb the quiet, peace, rest, enjoyment, comfort or convenience of the inhabitants of the City.

If you wish to file a complaint about construction noise, you can submit a service request online at, or call 311.

If the noise is due to a noisy party, criminal activity, violence, or other risk to public safety, please also contact Toronto Police.

To file a complaint about all other types of noise, please contact 311 to submit a service request.

In order to investigate any complaint, it is helpful if Municipal Licensing & Standards (ML&S) has the actual street address that the noise is coming from (point of reception). The City may then send the occupants of the property/the owner a Notice advising them that neighbours are being disturbed by their actions and of the possibility for further action through court action if the disturbance does not cease.

Once a Notice of Violation has been issued, or for the purposes of complaint qualification, it may be necessary for the complainant and any other inhabitant who is being disturbed to complete a noise log.

After Hours noise complaints
At this time ML&S officers do not work at night/shifts. However, in some instances (when warranted as part of an investigation) an ML&S officer will make arrangements to conduct an inspection during the evening/early morning/weekends. These arrangements are generally made after direct contact with the complainant and/or submission of noise logs.

Statutory Holidays as it relates to the  enforcement of the City of Toronto noise bylaw:

  • New Year's Day
  • Family Day
  • Good Friday
  • Victoria Day
  • Canada Day
  • Labour Day
  • Thanksgiving Day
  • Christmas Day
  • Boxing Day

Related information: