If you would like to report the injury or destruction of a tree on City or private property, contact 311 to submit a service request for investigation by Urban Forestry staff.

To report a concern about the injury or removal of a City or private tree, you need to provide as much information as possible (address of incident, estimated number of trees involved, location of trees (front or rear yard), estimated diameter of trees, species and condition of trees, licence plate number/name of company performing the work, date of incident and time; your name as possible witness.

Urban Forestry operates on an education and compliance model. Our first option is to educate on the benefits of trees, on the contents of the Tree By-laws and on the value of tree protection and preservation. Urban Forestry attempts to gain voluntary compliance for implementation of tree protection measures, and of replanting where trees have been removed.

Occasionally, where the situation warrants, voluntary compliance is refused and evidence is sufficient to gain a conviction, legal action towards a conviction will take place.

Fines : A person convicted of an offence under this section of the bylaw is liable:

  1. To a minimum fine of $500 per tree and to a maximum fine of $100,000 per tree
  2. To a special fine of $100,000.

Bylaw enforcement - damaging or removing plants or trees - City parks