To change a surname after marriage, there are two methods:

  1. Assuming a name
    You do not have to get a legal name change to use your spouse's name as your last name. Instead, you can assume your spouse's name. Assuming a name is not a legal name change, so it does not change your birth certificate. Most people assume a name instead of undergoing a legal name change.
  2. Legal Name Change
    Or, you can legally change your name.

A legal name change involves legally changing a person's forename name (first and/or second name); and/or the individual's surname (family name).

Under the Change of Name Act you can do a formal (legal) change of name. You need to be aware that if you elect to legally change your name and were born in Ontario, that this type of name change will result in changing your name on your birth certificate (it will appear as if you were born with this name). If you wish to revert back to your previous name at any time, you will need to contact the Office of the Registrar General.

Please visit the Service Ontario website for more information.