Divorce records

For divorce records from 1979 to Present, you must go to the local Courthouse of the Superior Court of Justice where the divorce was filed. The divorce files are only available through that Courthouse. In Toronto you would contact the Family Law Office on University Ave.

You can only obtain a Divorce Certificate if you have your divorce judgement. Requests can be made in person or in writing. A copy of your divorce judgement and a self-addressed, stamped return envelope should be enclosed if you are requesting by mail. For more information, please visit the Ministry of Attorney General website.

If you do not have a copy of your divorce judgement you need should be to call the Divorce Registry in Ottawa to obtain a file number, once you have a file number, you can visit or write to the Superior Court of Justice.

Divorce proceedings

To find out if divorce proceedings have started, or a divorce has been granted, you need to contact the Central Registry of Divorce Proceedings in Ottawa.

Visit the Government of Canada, Department of Justice website for further information on Divorce and Separation.