A service request for pick-up of HHW (Toxic Taxi) can be submitted online at http://www.toronto.ca/311/ , or call 311.

View the disposal and limitations on items brought to a Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Depot and Community Environment Day.

Please wait 1-2 working days before reporting a missed pick-up, as there might be an operational issue that has delayed service to your address.

In order to receive HHW pick up by Toxic Taxi:

  • You must reside in a single family, RUAC (residential unit above commercial) or a multi-residential dwelling. Business, commercial, industrial, charity, institutional customers are not eligible for this service.
  • HHW must be placed on private property, at the front of the residence, not at curb or on sidewalk, boulevard, street, backyard or back laneway.
    Note: Items can be placed on an open front porch/veranda or in front of a garage. Laneway collections are often problematic. Please have items located on street address side of property whenever possible
  • Liquid materials must be in a labelled, sealed, non-leaking container (i.e. paints must have a lid)
  • Items need to be sorted and kept separate, ie. batteries, paints, light bulbs should not be mixed together in one container
  • Water/Paint residue from cleaning brushes is HHW
  • Containers must be labelled
  • For all HHW between 10 to 50 litres/kilograms and must not exceed 50 litres/50 Kilograms or 24 cans. Material will be left behind if City Collections' staff determine that the amounts set out exceed the limits. You will be required to book another pick up.
  • If requesting pick-up of fluorescent tubes only, a minimum 20 tubes is required. Please note: Quantities of fluorescent tubes in excess of 40 may not all be picked up in one day.
  • Fluorescent Tubes longer than 4 feet must be boxed. 4 foot tubes are acceptable if securely taped in bundles of 10 units. Dispose of non-fluorescent bulbs wrapped in a plastic bag with regular garbage.
  • Needles/syringes, there is no required minimum. Needles/syringes must be placed in an approved sharps container or in another type of plastic container (plastic jug, water bottle, etc.) and sealed. Container needs to be clearly labelled as "needles or syringes". Containers cannot be returned to a resident.
  • Cooking Oil (from residential sources only) must be in a sealed container labelled "used cooking oil".
  • Quantity of 3 BBQ Tanks under 24" are accepted, larger helium or propane tanks should be returned to the point of purchase.

Further details and lists of what is considered to be Household Hazardous Waste can be found on the City of Toronto website.

Detailed information about Residential Waste collection, can be found in Chapter 844 of the Municipal code available at: http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/municode/1184_844.pdf

Business Hazardous Waste
Only residential household hazardous wastes (HHW) is permitted to be disposed of through the Toxic Taxi service at a HHW depot, or a Community Environment Day. Hazardous wastes generated by the business, commercial, industrial, charity, institutional sectors are ineligible for any City of Toronto services. Regulation 347 requires these wastes to be registered with the Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks (MOECP). Once registered, appropriate arrangements can be made with a MOECP licensed company or hauler to dispose or recycle their hazardous waste.

Other options for disposal of HHW:

Hazardous Waste from Schools and City DAC's
Schools and City of Toronto Divisions, Agencies and Commissions all have in-house procedures for recycling of HHW through contracted service providers. Hazardous wastes generated by these groups cannot be picked up by the Toxic Taxi, and these organizations are not eligible to drop off material at either a Community Environment Day or a HHW depot.

TDSB: http://www.tdsb.on.ca Contact the TDSB Waste Specialist for more information.

Related Information: