We ask that you try your current bin out for several collection cycles to confirm if you really need to make a change.

A service request to exchange a garbage or recycling bin can be submitted online at: http://www.toronto.ca/311/, or call 311.

Important: In order to proceed with creating a service request, ensure you have the serial # from the garbage/recycle bin located on the front of the bin, (Examples of garbage bin serial #65G###### and recycle bin serial #35R######), place this number in your service request to identify the bin. The contractor will confirm the bin belongs to you before the bin may be exchanged/replaced.

Bin exchange details/fees:

  • There is no exchange fee to downsize your Garbage or Recycling Bin
  • There is no exchange fee to upsize your Recycling Bin
  • The 2018 fee to up-size your Garbage Bin is $23.46 (this is charged each time you up-size your garbage bin). Please note that this garbage bin exchange fee may vary from year to year.
  • Garbage Bin exchanges may only be requested by the person who's name appears on the utility bill.
  • Recycling Bin exchanges may be requested by the person who's name appears on the utility bill or if you reside at the address.

Residential - garbage or recycling bins - new residents - moving to a new residence

Exchange process for single-family residential:

  • The 1st attempt for exchange will occur on the collection day, i.e. Garbage Bin on Garbage Day. Place the bin at curbside before 7:00 am on your collection day and leave it out until 7:00 pm.
  • If the exchange does not occur on the collection day, the Solid Waste Management contractor will make a 2nd attempt within 5 business days
  • The bin should be placed on the private property, visible and accessible
  • If after two attempts to exchange the bin, the contractor is unsuccessful, a yellow notice will be left behind. The resident will be required to contact 311 to submit a new service request.
  • **If the bin delivery contractor arrives to exchange the bin before collection occurs and the bin is full, the contractor is instructed to place any materials into the new bin for collection to still occur and complete the bin exchange. In the event there is more material than will fit into the new bin, the contractor is instructed to place this overflow material into bags for collection and place beside the new bin. For garbage, a specialized bag tag (green overflow sticker) will be placed on the bag to notify collection crews that it is eligible for collection.

    Note: it may take more than one collection cycle for the bin to be exchanged.

Addresses with laneway collections - Bin Exchanges/Repairs
: for residential and RUAC properties - if you normally receive collection in a laneway, place your bin at the front of your property for bin exchanges/repairs. If your bin was missed for collection due to the repair/ exchange, please call 311 to submit a service request or create it online at http://www.toronto.ca/311/.  

Exchange process for Residential Units Above Commercial (RUAC):

  • Owner/agents calling where they do not have "private property" to leave the bin out where it's visible and accessible for repair/replacement/exchange.
  • The bin must be visible and accessible from street line for the crew to repair the bin (please note laneway instructions above). Bins cannot be left out on City property for more than 24 hours. For RUAC Night collections leave the bin out the day following your collection night (i.e.: 7:00 am. to 7:00 pm.) for the contractor to exchange. All Bin exchanges are done on the collection day. If the exchange does not take place follow the exchange process above for single-family residential.
  • There is no fee charged to replace the bin with the properly ordered size.

Recycling Bin upsizing - can be requested by the person whose name appears on the utility bill or if you reside at the address.