If your basement drain is blocked, backed up or if you are experiencing flooding on your property, you can submit a service request on-line at: \http://www.toronto.ca/311/ , or call 311.

  1. You are required to be at home
  2. Snaking will only be performed from a cleanout.
  3. If water is coming in through the floor drain or basement and rising, this is an emergency priority.
  4. Request must come from property owner, tenant or authorized agent of the property.

The City is responsible for the sewer service connections from the main sewers on the street to the property line. Homeowners are responsible for the sewer services from the property line into the house.

Note: Exhibition Place - the City is responsible for certain sewers located within Exhibition Place.

Basements flood for a number of reasons, such as the following:

  • a leak in your home's foundation, basement walls, or basement windows or doors
  • poor lot drainage
  • failure of the weeping tile system (foundation drains)
  • overflowing eaves troughs
  • leaking/plugged downspouts
  • a blocked connection between your home and the main sewer in the street
  • a back-up of wastewater in the sewer system (or a combination of the waterwater and rainwater from the sanitary or combined sewer system)
  • failure of a sump pump (in some areas) used to pump weeping tile water
  • failure of a sewer backwater valve (installed by the homeowner)

Toronto Water staff will need access to the breather/clean out. You may have to remove any coverings from the porch. You must provide proper access to the breather/cleanout.

Related Information