Toronto Parking Authority – Board Governance Structure
Protecting your privacy is top priority for the City of Toronto. You are seeing this alert because your web browser needs to be updated to access content on toronto.ca. You will need to download and install a more recent version of your web browser to use our website.
Mandate and Responsibilities
Under the City of Toronto Act, 2006, the Toronto Parking Authority is a city board and City Council determines its mandate and structure. The Toronto Parking Authority (TPA) operates municipal off-street parking facilities and on-street metered parking in the City of Toronto. While 25 percent of the income generated by the TPA is retained by the TPA to fund its capital development program, the remaining 75 percent is transferred to the City of Toronto’s general revenues.
The Board of Directors of the Toronto Parking Authority is responsible for supervising the business and affairs of the TPA, including overseeing the implementation of corporate strategy by management and the investment of the TPA’s capital reserve.
Board Size and Composition
The Board of Directors consists of 8 members and is composed of:
- 2 Council Members;
- 5 citizen members; and
- the General Manager of transportation services, or designate, as a non-voting member.
Chair and Vice-Chair
City Council appoints the Chair of the Board of Directors. The Board elects a Vice-Chair from amongst its members.
Citizens are eligible for appointment to the Board of Directors, and eligible to remain on the Board after being appointed, if they satisfy the eligibility requirements for appointment as set out in the City’s Public Appointments Policy.
Citizen members of the Board of Directors should collectively demonstrate a range of qualifications including:
- a sound financial and administrative background including experience in real estate joint ventures;
- a sound background in human resources and union related matters;
- a clear understanding of land use and transportation planning;
- an understanding of commercial enterprises including marketing and advertising;
- understanding of public service objectives and operations; and
- commercial sensitivity and acumen.
Appointments Process – Citizen Members
Citizen members of the Board are recruited through an advertised recruitment process. The appointments process is conducted according to the policies and procedures in the City’s Public Appointments Policy.
The Board meets monthly or at the call of the Chair. Board meetings are open to the public, except for meetings or parts of meetings where a subject matter is being considered that is set out in section 190 of the City of Toronto Act, 2006.
Citizen Chair: $10,000 annual retainer (no meeting fees).
Citizen Members: $500 for each Board and Committee meeting attended, up to a maximum total remuneration of $7,500 per year.
No remuneration is paid to Council Members on the Board.