Legal Services Budget
Legal Services provides the highest quality legal services to the City of Toronto and functions as a strategic resource for Council, City Divisions and Agencies. Legal Services responds to the increasing demand by the City for legal services and promotes risk management and various mitigation strategies by delivering three main services:
- Civil Litigation
Download the detailed Budget Analyst Notes for Legal Services. You can also review budget highlights below.
Legal Services contributes to shaping City progress by providing excellent legal services and strategic advice.
Download the Legal Services Program Map to better understand the services and activities it provides.
The total cost to provide these legal services to the City of Toronto is $65.7 million gross and $19.6 million net.
- 0% Budget change over the 2018 Approved Net Operating Budget to maintain existing service levels and meet additional service demands.
- $0.729M Inflationary increase in salaries and benefits.
- $0.565M Reduction in salary and benefits costs based actual experience.
- $0.240M Inflationary increase in Development Application Fee and other user fee revenue adjustments.
- $1.331M New/enhanced funding requested to provide legal support for programs specific initiatives, fully funded by client programs or reserves. No net impact to the Legal Services’ budget.
- 2020/2021 Increases primarily for known inflationary adjustments for salaries, benefits.
- Adapting to Legislative change.
- Knowledge transfer & succession planning.
- Increased service demands.
- Within existing resources we are working to ensure a thorough analysis of new legislation. Where possible, we conduct in-house training.
- We have been proactive in preparing to shift responsibilities and mentoring of junior lawyers.
- We continue to monitor and efficiently schedule staff resources and to focus on core legal work while assisting clients with templates where practical.