Municipal Licensing & Standards Budget
Municipal Licensing & Standards (ML&S) provides bylaw administration and enforcement services for private property maintenance and use, community standards including signs, noise, waste, parks and regulated businesses. Municipal Licensing & Standards delivers the following services:
- Bylaw Compliance & Enforcement
- Licences & Permits
- Animal Services
ML&S has stewardship over nine district offices, Animal Services has one CHIP Truck for micro-chipping and licensing, and one mobile Spay/Neuter Truck to support service delivery.
Download the Budget Analyst Notes for Municipal Licensing & Standards for detailed information on service levels, key initiatives, challenges and performance measures. You can also review budget highlights below.
Municipal Licensing and Standards contributes to the safety, vibrancy and maintenance of our communities by being a leader in the effective delivery of bylaw enforcement, administration and animal care services to the City of Toronto.
Download the Municipal Licensing and Standards Program Map to better understand the services and activities ML&S delivers on behalf of the City.
The total cost to deliver ML&S services to Toronto residents is $62 million gross and $20.1 million net.
- 0.7% Budget below the 2018 Approved Net Operating Budget to maintain existing service levels and meet additional service demands.
- $0.020M Efficiency savings in fleet management costs.
- $1.031M New/enhanced funding to implement Illegal Cannabis Storefront Enforcement & Legal Support funded by Provincial subsidy.
- 2020/2021 Increases primarily for known inflationary adjustments for salaries, benefits and contracts, inter-divisional charges for Court, Fleet and Legal Services and Information Technology as well as the annualization of the new/enhanced service priority for Illegal Cannabis Enforcement.
- Shifting regulatory and enforcement demands arising from public expectations.
- Volume of significant bylaw reviews and implementation to be undertaken, including Vehicle-for-Hire, Business Licensing, Noise, and implementation of Short-Term Rental bylaw.
- Managing implementation of new bylaws and business rules while advancing system modernization program.
- Legalization of Cannabis and impact to operations.
- Improving the customer experience and bylaw compliance by broadening public education through enhanced communications.
- Enforce the Cannabis Act (Bill C-45) and prevent proliferation of illegal storefronts with funding of $1.031M including Legal support.
- Focus on obtaining complaint resolution and positive bylaw compliance through improved case management.
- Respond to demands for Vehicle for-Hire enforcement due to the increased volumes of Private Transportation Companies.
Briefing Notes & Staff Reports
Find more information on specific City issues, opportunities and challenges in the briefing notes and reports prepared by City staff. Documents will be posted as they become available.
Presentations made to committee and City Council provide an overview of the 2019 City budget. Documents will be posted as they become available.