Councillor Gary Crawford
Councillor Crawford’s appointments
Council and its Committees
- Scarborough Community Council
- Board of Directors of Civic Theatres Toronto, as the Mayor’s designate
- Board of Directors of The Hummingbird (Sony) Centre for the Performing Arts, as the Mayor’s designate
- Board of Directors of the St. Lawrence Centre for the Arts, as the Mayor’s designate
- Board of Directors of the Toronto Centre for the Arts, as the Mayor’s designate
- Budget Committee, Chair
- City Theatres Nominating Panel
- Debenture Committee, Vice Chair
- Employee and Labour Relations Committee
- Executive Committee, at large Member
Other Boards and Committees
- Artscape Toronto
- Dora Mavor Moore Awards Board of Directors
- George R. Gardiner Museum of Ceramic Art Board of Trustees
- Toronto Arts Council
- Young People’s Theatre Board of Directors
- Coalition for Music Education in Canada Newsletter, published in March 2006
- Guitars, Not Gangs – Music Education and Reaching At-Risk Youth
- Illustrated the United Church Creed, “We Are Not Alone, We Live in God’s World,” published in 1998, second printing 2007, with over 15,000 copies sold
Chief of Staff
Constituency Relations Manager
Public service has always been an important goal for Gary Crawford. He moved to Ward 36 to raise his family because of its great schools, unique neighbourhoods, good friends and strong sense of community.
Gary is currently serving his second term as a Toronto City Councillor and has been appointed by Council as Budget Chair and as a member of the Executive Committee.
Previous to his role on Council, Gary served a seven year term as a TDSB Trustee. His experience included appointment as Co-chair of the Board, Chair of Facilities Management and Chair of Negotiations. During his 11 years of public service, Gary has gained a sound knowledge base, a breadth of experience and a keen overview of public sector organizations.
As City Councillor, his experience holding a variety of positions gave him a clear understanding of fiscal governance. Gary served on numerous committees including Budget, Planning and Growth, Economic Development and the Executive Committee. He also served on City Boards and Agencies including East Metro Youth Centre, Sony Centre for the Performing Arts (as Interim Chair), Harbourfront Centre, St. Lawrence Centre for the Performing Arts, the Toronto Centre for the Arts and the Toronto Arts Council. He has chaired the Mayor’s Task Force on the Arts, the Theatres Working Group and Co-chaired the Film Board.
Gary is a passionate advocate for arts and culture and was instrumental in historic funding increases for the arts. Before becoming a Councillor he was a professional artist and a part time musician.
Gary has the ability and skills to work with people from a broad array of political backgrounds and to build the necessary consensus required for effective Council and Committee decisions. His mature approach and capacity to build common goals has earned him the respect of his peers at Council and the many Boards and Committees he participates on.
Gary has a business background holding both senior management and consultant positions. He received a Bachelor of Fine Arts Honours degree from York University.
Gary is passionate about Ward 36 and the City of Toronto. With his leadership, Scarborough Southwest has a visible and important place at City Hall.
(Information provided by Councillor)