Councillor Jon Burnside
Councillor Burnside’s appointments
Council and its Committees
- North York Community Council
- Executive Committee, Member At-large
- Licensing and Standards Committee
- Budget Committee
- Civic Appointments Committee
- Forest Hill, Leaside and North Toronto Arena Nominating Panel
Other Boards and Committees
- Leaside Memorial Community Gardens Arena Board of Management
- Toronto and Region Conservation Authority Don Watershed Regeneration Council
Business Improvement Areas
Jon Burnside was a Toronto police officer from 1991 – 2001 and then a successful business owner until his election to Toronto City Council in October 2014.
Born in 1966, Jon grew up in Leaside before securing an Honours B.A. in Political Science at the University of Western Ontario.
He has been involved in the community for over 25 years – from creating free house league hockey for children in Flemingdon Park to being a member of the Trillium Grant Review team. As a police officer, Jon worked in his home community of Ward 26; an experience that gave him unique insight into the needs of the neighbourhood and inspired him to try to provide children and youth in his community with the same opportunities which he’d been so fortunate to have.
After serving 10 years in the Toronto Police, Jon fulfilled his ambition of becoming a successful entrepreneur – launching and operating several businesses in the health food sector.
Jon is a dog lover and is passionate about animal rights issues. He has rescued eight dogs to date and currently shares his home with Nik Nak and May Day.
(Information provided by Councillor)