North East Scarborough Community & Child Care Centre
The City of Toronto is planning to construct a new multi-use community center, including a childcare facility, in Joyce Trimmer Park.
The City of Toronto Recreation Facilities Report adopted by Council in 2004 identified North East Scarborough as an area having unmet community needs with respect to parks and recreation facilities. They recommended that this area be a priority for a Community Centre project. The area has unmet child care needs and is one of the city’s most diverse, with an immigrant population of more than 50 per cent.
The Design Team Lead is Perkins + Will Canada, in joint venture with Cornerstone Architecture – Child Care Expert. The design team is working on the schematic design which will be presented to the Executive Steering Committee by the end of November 2018, and to the public by end of January 2019.
The Community Centre program includes the following components:
- Multi-Purpose Space
- Public/Administrative Support Space
The Child Care Centre program includes the following components:
- 5 Playrooms (1 Infant Playroom/Sleep Room, 2 Toddler, 2 Preschool)
- Children Support Space
- Administrative Support Space
- 3 Separate playgrounds that are designed to meet program requirements for infant, toddler and preschool outdoor play
The project is currently in the design phase and the construction work to be completed by December 2022.
The proposed project timeline is as follows;
- May 2018 to January 2020: Design, Approvals and Public Presentation Phase
- October 2019 to February 2020: Tender and Contract Award Phase will take place between
- March 2020 to December 2022: Construction and Handover Phase will take place between
Currently, we are resolving site issues including the acquisition of additional land for the future driveway from Sheppard Avenue which is owned by the Fire Department, and pedestrian pathway which is owned by the TCDSB.
The next public consultation will be held in January 2019.
To date, three public consultations and one community and family fun day, have been held to solicit feedback from the community.
- June 27, 2016
- January 12, 2017
- June 18, 2018
- the community and family fun day on July 15, 2018
Needs surveys and environmental scans were carried out between December 2016 and March 2017.