Call for Participants – Protection of Rental Housing Advisory Committee
The City of Toronto is establishing a Protection of Rental Housing Advisory Committee to work with staff to identify ways to protect affordable rental tenancies in the City. Specifically, the Committee will:
- Inform the City’s response to illegitimate tenant evictions;
- Inform the development of materials to educate tenants on their rights and inform landlords of their responsibilities;
- Inform the City’s response to eviction prevention supports;
- Suggest potential amendments to the provincial Residential Tenancies Act, 2006 and changes at the Landlord Tenant Board to address illegitimate evictions; and
- Help organize an affordable housing workshop to address the issues of security of tenure and affordable rental housing.
Membership & Meetings
This will be a committee that reports to staff with membership of up to 12 members for a one year term.
- Balance will be struck between:
- People with lived experience (3)
- Tenant advocacy groups (3)
- Landlords (3)
- Legal clinics (3)
- Meetings will take place monthly outside of business hours (i.e. evenings/weekends) beginning in February 2020 for a six month period.
- Meeting frequency will be re-visited after six months against the progress made to date on key deliverables.
How to Apply
The City welcomes any individual or organization to submit their interest to serve on this advisory committee. We are asking individuals/groups to email their interest to the Housing Secretariat by Friday, January 17th, 2020. Email: email@example.com with a subject heading Protection of Rental Housing Advisory Committee.
Please include your full name/organization name along with contact information. Given the limited number of spots on the advisory committee we are asking individuals to outline their lived experience with illegitimate evictions and for organizations to outline their work on this issue. Selected individuals and organizations will be informed by January 24th with a first meeting the first week of February.