Toronto Employment and Social Services is partnering with Toronto Paramedic Services to offer a 16-month training program that will help people who receive assistance from Ontario Works or the Ontario Disability Support Program prepare for a job as a paramedic.
The training program is a two-phase process. Phase 1 is an introductory 5-week Paramedic Pre-Course to build foundational skills. The successful completion of the Phase 1 is required to participate in Phase 2, the 16-month Primary Care Paramedic (PCP) Program.
For more information about the program contact your caseworker and/or attend an information session.
Watch the Training Program Candidate Information Video
Who can qualify for the 16-month Primary Care Program?
- Applicants must be receiving assistance from Ontario Works or the Ontario Disability Support Program and living in Toronto
- Referred by an Ontario Works or the Ontario Disability Support Program caseworker
- Successfully completed the Phase 1 introductory Paramedic Pre-Course and testing, including written, physical, interviews and ride out.
- Meet all mandatory eligibility criteria (listed below)
Phase 1: Paramedic Pre-Course
This course is designed to help participants feel comfortable in an educational setting that will support their transition into a career in health care. It includes:
- A 5-week structured program that starts September 2021
- Online course content
- Emergency Medical Responder (EMR) First Aid, Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) & Automated External Defibrillator (AED) certifications
- Academic upgrading (math, English, biology)
- Fitness preparation
Phase 2: Primary Care Paramedic (PCP) Program
- Program starts February 2022
- Ministry of Health approved
- Support for additional paramedic service required certifications including International Trauma Life Support (ITLS) and F class licence
- Diploma upon completion
- First choice of employment with Toronto Paramedic Services
Core program components:
- 16-months structured training
- 800 hours of theory instruction
- 400 hours of practical lab
- 44 hours in hospital/clinical placement
- 450 hours field placement
- Support to obtain additional required certification/licences
To apply for this program, you must meet these requirements:
- Be receiving assistance from Ontario Works or Ontario Disability Support Program and living in Toronto
- Full valid Ontario G class driver’s licence with driving experience
- Clean criminal record check and clean driving abstract
- Advanced English proficiency
- High school diploma or general education diploma (GED) with advanced science, math, and English
- Good physical health/medical health
- Willing to do shift work
Candidates must also demonstrate:
- Strong work ethic
- Determination and empathy
- Modesty, adaptability and willingness to learn
- Steady, level, practical thinking
For more information about program eligibility, contact your caseworker and/or attend an information session.
- Recruitment for this program will start May 2021
- For more information, contact your caseworker to register for an upcoming virtual information session:
- Wednesday, June 2, 10 to 11 a.m.
- Thursday, June 3, 3 to 4 p.m.
- Wednesday, June 23, 6 to 7 p.m.
- Thursday, June 24, 2 to 3 p.m.
If you do not qualify for this program and are interested in a career as a paramedic, please visit the Ministry of Health website for more information.