Albion Sanitary Trunk Sewer Rehabilitation Study
Notice of Project File Update
The City of Toronto has completed a Project File Update to the 2015 Albion Sanitary Trunk Sewer Rehabilitation Municipal Class Environmental Assessment (EA) study. The Project File Update includes a review of the planning and design process of the 2015 Class EA study and documents the re-evaluation of options and the recommended changes to the preferred solution for Areas B and E within the study area.
The Albion Sanitary Trunk Sewer (STS) is a 3 kilometre long, 750 mm diameter, trunk sewer that was constructed in 1960s. The Albion STS runs adjacent to the Humber STS through the Humber River Valley and the two sewers cross one another at a number of locations (see study area map).
In 2015, the City of Toronto completed the Albion Sanitary Trunk Sewer Rehabilitation Municipal Class EA study, which recommended solutions to address corrosion problems and low flow conditions in the Albion STS and to provide for long-term sanitary servicing needs in the study area. The preferred solutions included:
- Abandonment of a few sections of the Albion STS that are inaccessible and/or cannot be maintained due to low flow conditions.
- Rehabilitation of a few sections of the Albion STS that will remain in operation due to local sanitary sewer connections.
- Abandonment of a few sections of the Albion STS by diverting sanitary flows to the adjacent Humber STS by constructing new interconnections and maintenance holes between the two sanitary trunk sewers
The review of the 2015 EA study was undertaken to address comments from the Toronto and Region Conservation Authority on the project that were received after the 2015 EA study’s completion. Based on the review and re-evaluation of options, the Project File Update report recommends modifications to the project as follows:
- Area B in the Study Area – Construction of a new sewer as per Option 1 in the Project File Update Report instead of tunnelling under the Humber River.
- Area E in the Study Area – Construction of a new sewer instead of rehabilitating the Albion STS from Manholes 11 to 13A and Manholes 14 to 15.
Opportunities for Review
The Project File Update Report has been placed on public record for a 30-day public review period starting February 20, 2018 and ending on March 23, 2018. Please note that only changes proposed for Areas B and E of the study area in the Project File Update are open for review. The Project File Update Report is available for review at:
2 King Street
(at Weston Road)
If you have any outstanding issues with the project, please address them to the City staff listed below and we will attempt to seek a mutually acceptable resolution.
City of Toronto – Public Consultation Unit
Metro Hall, 19th Fl., 55 John St., Toronto, ON M5V 3C6
Tel: 416-392-8210 Fax: 416-392-2974 TTY: 416-338-0889
If concerns regarding the project cannot be resolved in discussion with the City of Toronto, a person or party may request that the Minister of the Environment and Climate Change (MOECC) make an order for the project to comply with Part II of the Environmental Assessment Act (referred to as a Part II Order), which addresses individual environmental assessments.
Written requests must be sent to:
The Honorable Chris Ballard
Minister of the Environment & Climate Change
77 Wellesley St. West
Ferguson Block, 11th Floor
Toronto, Ontario M7A 2T5
Ministry of the Environment & Climate Change
Director, Environmental Approvals Branch
135 St. Clair Avenue West, 1st Floor
Toronto, Ontario M4V 1P5
If no requests are received by March 23, 2018, the City may proceed with the project as outlined in the Project File.
Issue Date: February 20, 2018