Vehicle-for-Hire Bylaw Review
The Vehicle-for-Hire Bylaw came into effect in July 2016. It was created to:
- provide more opportunities for vehicle-for-hire drivers
- establish a set of rules for private transportation companies (PTCs), including rules around safety, insurance and record keeping
- establish a more flexible set of rules for the taxicab and limousine industry by reducing regulatory burden
- provide access to accessible ground transportation
The City is undertaking a review of the bylaw as well as responding to a number of outstanding directives from Committees and City Council, including:
- how to proceed with an accessibility strategy
- results of a congestion management study and a labour market impact study
- recommendations for addressing new and/or outstanding issues.
A report on the results of the review is expected at the Licensing and Standards Committee in the second quarter of 2019.
Subscribe to receive key updates and information about upcoming public consultation opportunities related to the Vehicle-for-Hire Review.
Staff have developed a four-phase plan beginning in summer 2018. The plan includes:
Phase One: Public Consultations and Launching Studies – Q3 and Q4 2018
Phase Two: Executing Studies and Internal Research – Q4 2018 and Q1 2019
Phase Three: Final Analysis – Q1 2019
Phase Four: Report to Committee – Q2 2019
The City hosted a series of public consultations in September and October 2018. The public consultations are part of the Work Plan for the Review of Chapter 546, Vehicles-for-Hire considered by the Licensing and Standards Committee on June 14, 2018. Feedback heard during the first round of public consultations can be found in the Summary of Vehicle-for-Hire Public Consultations
A second round of consultations is expected in the first quarter of 2019. Information regarding the next round of public consultations as well as a summary of the first round of meetings is available on Vehicle-for-Hire Review Public Consultation page.
Three major studies related to the ground transportation industry are being conducted as part of the review. These include an Accessibility Strategy, a Congestion Management Study and an Economic Impact Analysis.
The findings of these studies will be included in the final report, expected in the second quarter of 2019. A description of each study, along with their current status, is provided in the Update on Research Studies for Vehicle-for-Hire Review.