If you are going to college or university and want to live near your school, you have a few options.

Many post-secondary schools have student residences located on-campus or very nearby. Residences can be a mix of accommodation including dormitory halls, townhouses and apartments. Some residences offer single or shared accommodations, with private or shared bathrooms, kitchens and laundry facilities. Students living in residence may also be able to include a meal plan as part of their residence fee which includes meals at the school’s dining halls. Each school has its own set of residence fees and process to apply, so you should contact your school directly for more information or visit their website. If you are considering living in student residence, you may be able to request a tour of the residence before submitting an application.

If you want to live near your school but not in student residence, you also have the option of living in rental student housing. Landlords post available units located near colleges and universities on several student housing websites (listed below). Many schools also post information about off-campus living on their websites, including housing listings near their campuses. If you are going to rent off-campus, it’s important you understand your rights and responsibilities as a tenant. If you plan on sharing a space with a roommate, here are some important things to keep in mind.

The student housing rental websites listed below are presented for informational purposes only and no one particular service is endorsed or recommended.

Another option is to find a place to rent in the general private market, using one of these rental websites.