Information Session Minutes
Creating Health Plus RFP Information Session,
August 27, 2018
Metro Hall, Room 310, 9:30 a.m. – 11 a.m.
The PowerPoint presentation shown at this session is available upon request. Please contact Jelica Vrana, Housing Consultant, Shelter, Support & Housing Administration, Housing Stability Services (HSS), 416-338-8211, Jelica.Vrana@toronto.ca.
- Jelica Vrana, Alice Broughton, Wendy Dobson – SSHA
- Anita Prasad – Creating Health Plus Program Co-ordinator (PARC)
- Shane Demerchant and Jennifer Fitzpatrick – Second Harvest
- Markus Doerr & Moorthi Senaratve – Food Share
- Alvin Rebick & Stephanie Caruso – Food Reach/North York Harvest
The Creating Health Plus project was established in 2008 with the mandate of supporting improved nutritional value of meals served at Toronto’s drop-ins.
Priority foods identified: milk, eggs, yogurt, fresh fruit and fresh vegetables.
- Prioritizing seasonal and local produce – increased nutritional value and lower cost.
- Have been purchasing Astro 100g packs – whole fruit and individual size yogurt packs are great take-away snacks (ideal for homeless population).
- Historically there have been two sizes of baskets for agencies, depending on how many days they were open and the numbers they served. Moving forward this will be standardized to one size of basket for all agencies.
Funding and Participation
- Currently there are 30 drop-ins participating in this program and receiving weekly food deliveries, with another eight drop-ins on the waiting list. The long-term goal is to expand the service/program.
- Funding for the Program Coordinator for this project currently comes from a grant from Trillium. The position is not currently funded past next year.
- Overall funding from the program comes from the City and is stable.
- The Advisory Committee steers the program and meets approximately quarterly. Active participation in the Advisory Committee is expected, including participating in advocacy for investment into food.
- There is also a Management Committee that meets more often and are able to make rapid operating decisions as required.
- Revenue, expenditures and deliverables – City of Toronto
- Programmatic areas – Advisory Committee
Three Service Priority Areas
- Procurement and Delivery
- High Quality and Responsive Services
- Partnerships and Collaboration
- Four (4) hard copies (one being the original) plus one electronic copy should be sent to City. Part A – if completed since Jan 1, 2017, the applicant can send a copy of this version rather than completing a new version.
- Sept 19, 2018 deadline – if the applicant’s board meeting is scheduled later than the deadline and they need time to submit resolution, this needs to be stated and a request should be made for an extension for this portion of the application.
- The Excel attached to the RFP application must be completed and sent as a separate document in the electronic submission.
- The City may contact partners listed in the application as a reference.
- Applicants must be in good standing with the City for the last 5 years.
The work plan/logic model must incorporate SMART principles. SMART: Specific, Measurable, Action-oriented, Realistic, Timed.
The City is happy to provide feedback if the applicant is not successful. As this is a small, one-off project, there will be no appeals process.
- Release of addenda: August 31 and September 11, 2018
- Submission deadline: Wednesday, September 19, 2018, 4 p.m.
- Review begins September 20, 2018
- Notifications sent October 8, 2018
- Funding commences January 1, 2019
Funding: one year with the possibility of extension. SSHA has authority through council to continue/renew each year and there likely will not be another RFP for this project for a few years.
Questions about the RFP should be sent to email@example.com.
Application (electronic portions) should be sent to same email – subject line: ORGANIZATION NAME – Creating Health Plus RFP 2018.
Do not fax.
Mail (or drop off) four hard copies to the following address:
Attn: Creating Health Plus RFP
City of Toronto
Shelter Support and Housing Administration
55 John Street, Metro Hall, 6th Floor
Toronto, ON M5V 3C6
416-338-8217 (Karen Toro-Romero)
The electronic (including the required Excel sheet) and four hard copies of the application must be received by the deadline of September 19, 2018, 4 p.m.