These innovative museum outreach programs provide unique in-class learning opportunities for high school students. Booking details vary by program, please see below for more information.
Topics: Drama and Arts, Creating and Presenting
Through the medium of a dramatic first person narrative, students will learn the true story of Joshua Glover – an enslaved person who escaped from a southern American plantation to Montgomery’s Inn in Etobicoke through the underground railway. The play highlights the challenges and sacrifices faced by those escaping the bonds of slavery in the 19th century. Following the one hour presentation, students will engage in tableau and scene work allowing them to explore the major themes and events of the play in greater detail. In addition, the actor/facilitator will lead an in-depth discussion on the creation of the play and the students will have the opportunity to reflect on their own response to the piece.
- Learn the creative process to develop, produce and perform drama
- Explore and appreciate Canada’s diversity through the Dramatic arts
- Examine the social functions of drama, including how dramatic exploration promotes appreciation for diverse cultures
- Role play and engage in tableau and scene work under the direction of a trained actor/facilitator
Min. 10 students; Max. 35 students
$250.00 per class
To book this in-class program, please contact Montgomery’s Inn directly:
History – Meets Strands A and B
In this innovative museum outreach program, students get up close and personal with real artifacts from The Great War. A museum professional from the City of Toronto Historic Sites puts historical inquiry directly into your students’ hands by teaching them to correctly handle and examine artifacts. This hands-on approach uses core strategies of the historical inquiry process to bring history to life in an immediate and memorable way.
Toronto’s Historic Sites aim to engage the public in telling Toronto’s story. The in-classroom program is geared to the Provincial Education Curriculum and is designed to allow students to learn in an interactive way.
- Up to 30 students (one classroom only per presentation as smaller groups allow optimal student interaction)
- 60 minutes in length
- Allow five minutes before and after the program for set up/tear down
- $175 per classroom
To book this in-class program, please email email@example.com or call 416-392-7604