Fact sheet: Appointment to fill the vacancy of Toronto City Councillor, Ward 41 Scarborough-Rouge River
May 28, 2018
- May 30 to June 19: Applications available at:
- City Clerk’s Office Service Counter, Scarborough Civic Centre, 150 Borough Dr., 3rd Floor
- City Clerk’s Office Service Counter, City Hall,100 Queen St. W., west side of the rotunda
- the June 12 information session.
- June 12: City Clerk’s information session for interested applicants.
- June 19: Deadline to file the required application forms with the City Clerk’s Office (forms must be signed in person).
- June 21: List of candidates will be posted online at http://www.toronto.ca/council.
- June 26: City Council meets to consider applications and will make its decision for the appointment. Applicants may address City Council.
- November 30, 2018: End of the current term of City Council and the duration of this appointment.
- Tuesday, June 12, from 6:30 to 8 p.m. in the Council Chamber, Scarborough Civic Centre, 150 Borough Dr.
- Staff will provide an overview of the appointment process for interested persons and answer questions about the process.
- Applications will be available.
- City Clerk’s staff will be on hand to assist applicants and commission forms.
- Applications and supporting documentation will be accepted at the session.
- Attendance is optional for applicants.
Eligibility to apply
A person must be:
- 18 years of age or older
- A Canadian citizen
- A resident of the City of Toronto, or an owner or tenant of land in the City of Toronto, or the spouse of an owner/tenant of land in the City of Toronto
- Not legally prohibited from holding municipal office
- Employees of the City of Toronto and its agencies and board including City board appointees must be on a leave of absence.
Applications must include:
- Personal identification showing name, signature and qualifying address within the City of Toronto
- Completed Consent of Nominee and Declaration of Qualification forms
- In addition to the application form, candidates can write to City Council with information about themselves. This is not a requirement.
- Candidates are encouraged to submit any supporting materials with their consent of nominee application form.
- Please note that any information submitted, including a candidate’s personal information, becomes part of the public record. All materials will be available for public inspection.
- Any supporting materials received by 4:30 p.m. on June 19 will be published in the printed agenda for the June 26 City Council meeting.
- Any supporting materials received after 4:30 p.m. on June 19 will be distributed at the City Council meeting on June 26 to all Members of Council, relevant City officials and the media in accordance with usual protocols.
- Supporting materials can be sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or faxed to 416-392-2980 or delivered to the City Clerk’s Office,12th floor, west tower, City Hall, 100 Queen St. W.
Deadline to file
- June 19 at 4:30 p.m.
- Applications can be filed at the City Clerk’s Office Service Counter, Scarborough Civic Centre, 150 Borough Dr., third floor and the City Clerk’s Office Service Counter, City Hall,100 Queen St. W., west side of the rotunda.
Withdrawing an Application
- Applications can be withdrawn at any time up to the start of the City Council meeting on June 26.
- Withdrawing an application must be done in writing to the City Clerk:
- by email from the address listed on the application form
- by fax to 416-392-2980, or
- in person at the City Clerk’s Office Service Counter, City Hall, 100 Queen St. W., west side of the rotunda.
Contact with Members of City Council
- The Lobbyist Registrar advises that there is no requirement for applicants to register as a lobbyist to have contact with Members of City Council between now and the June 26 meeting.
- However, if applicants are already registered with the City for communications on other matters, the Lobbyist Registrar recommends that they speak with an advisor in her office before making contact.
- Applicants may contact the Lobbyist Registrar’s Office by calling 416-338-5858.
City Council meeting
- June 26, 9:30 a.m., Council Chamber, Toronto City Hall
- Applicants may address City Council:
- Speaking order determined by lot
- Speaking time is limited to five minutes
- Each Member of City Council may ask one question of each candidate
- Voting is by ballot:
- Successful candidate must receive a majority of the ballots cast
- Subsequent balloting rounds held, if needed
- Ties are determined by lot.
Forms and information available at http://www.toronto.ca/ward41vacancy
– 30 –
Media contact: Jennifer Wing, Strategic Communications, 416-397-5313, Jennifer.Wing@toronto.ca