Read the rules for entering the Instagram contest, open December 29 to 30.
The City of Toronto (the “City”) is running an Instagram contest (the “Contest”) to raise awareness about the City’s COVID-19 pandemic safety messages. The City is not endorsing or associating with Instagram for this contest, and Instagram is not sponsoring or administering the contest.
Each entrant provides a complete release of Instagram as related to this contest.
By entering the Contest, the entrant, or if the entrant is a minor, his/her/their parent/guardian, is confirming that he/she/they has read and understood all of the rules indicated below (the “Contest Rules”) completely and agrees to abide by the Contest Rules. Please email the City of Toronto’s Social Media Team at firstname.lastname@example.org if you require clarification about any Contest Rule.
The Contest entry period commences at 12:00 p.m. local Toronto time on Tuesday, December 29, 2020 and concludes at 11:59 a.m. on Wednesday, December 30, 2020. (the “Contest Period”).
2.0 Entrants must be residents of Ontario.
2.1 Entrants either must be 18 years or older or must have written permission of a parent or guardian. Such written permission should be provided by emailing the contest administrator at email@example.com and receiving a response.
2.2 Entrants cannot be employees, officers or directors of the City, or members of their immediate families.
2.3 Entrants will need an Instagram account. To create a free account, go to www.instagram.com (“the Instagram website”) and follow the onscreen instructions to open an account.
3.0 To enter the Contest from your Instagram account, search for the City of Toronto’s official Instagram account @cityofto (“the Contest Sponsor’s Account”). A copy of these official rules for this Contest will be available within the City’s profile.
3.1 There is no purchase necessary to enter. To participate, entrants must complete the following:
3.2. Entrants must ensure their Instagram account settings allow for private/direct messaging.
3.3. There is no limit on the amount of comments an entrant is able to submit. However, all comments must be relevant to the post.
3.4 Inappropriate or offensive comments will be considered invalid and will be deleted.
4.0 Entrants must be the sole owner of all rights to any comment that the Contestant submits.
4.1 By participating in the Contest, entrants agree to hold the City harmless from any infringement of any copyright or other intellectual property in any and all comments the Contestant submits.
4.2 All comments submitted for the Contest and received by the City become records of the City and subject to disclosure under the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (“MFIPPA”).
5.0 If the entrant’s entry is selected as the winner of the Contest (the “Winner”), the Winner(s) agree to the publication of his/her/their Instagram handle on the City’s Instagram profile. .
5.1 Any personal information collected in connection with this Contest, is collected under the authority of the City of Toronto Act, S.O. 2006, Chapter 11, Schedule A, s. 136 (c) and is intended to be used for the purposes of conducting and administering the Contest, including but not limited to contacting entrants, verifying eligibility, awarding prize(s), and complying with legal requirements.
6.0. The chances of winning are dependent on the number of eligible comments received during the Contest as a whole.
6.1. There are twenty (20) t-shirts prizes valued at $38.99 CAD each.
6.2. Each entrant may submit multiple entries but can win only once.
6.3 Entrants selected as the winner(s) must complete a written declaration and answer a skill-testing question before the City can award the prize.
6.4 If the winner(s) are not able to comply with any of the Contest Rules, another winner will be selected.
7.0. After the closing date for the Contest on December 30, 2020, selection of the winners will take place by way of random draw on or before December 31, 2020. The winner will be drawn using a random numeric generation system.
7.1 Winner(s) will be contacted by direct message through the @Cityofto Instagram channel with the information of how to claim their prize. The Notification will provide each of the Winners with instructions about how to collect their prize. Each Winner must provide the City with a completed and signed Declaration and Release of Liability (the “Contest Release Form”) on or before the date specified in the Notification before they can claim their prize.
7.2 Winner(s) must respond within forty-eight (48) hours of receiving notification. If a Winner does not respond within that time, that Winner will be disqualified without liability to the City and will not receive a prize. An alternate Winner may be selected.
7.3. A Winner that completes and signs the Contest Release Form can then arrange with the City to collect the prize. All prizes must be collected by January 31, 2021.
7.4. If a Winner is subsequently found to be ineligible, declines to sign the Contest Release Form or fails to submit the Contest Release Form to the City in accordance with the Contest Rules, or who fails to collect his or her prize by January 31, 2021, he/she/they will forfeit his/ her/their prize and the City shall be completely released and discharged from any liability or responsibility in this regard.
7.5. The City makes no representation and offers no warranty, express or implied, as to the quality or fitness of the prizes awarded in connection with the Contest. Winners acknowledge and agree that they cannot seek reimbursement or pursue any legal or equitable remedy from the City should any prize fail to be fit for its purpose or in any way unsatisfactory to a Contest winner.
8. All prizes must be accepted as awarded. No prize substitutions will be made, save for the City’s right, at its sole discretion, to make an offer or prize substitution of equivalent value. Prizes will only be awarded upon return of a fully executed Contest Release Form to the City.
9. The City reserves the right to verify the full legal name and address of the Contest winners with the information on the selected entry form. To claim the prize, valid government issued photo identification may be required.
10. If for any reason the Contest is not capable of running as planned, including due to infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other cause beyond the reasonable control of the City that corrupts, impairs or affects the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this Contest, the City reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify, extend or suspend the Contest and/or the prizes. The City is not responsible for computer system, hardware, software or program malfunctions or other errors, failures, or delayed computer transactions or network connections that affect the Contest. Furthermore, the City is not responsible for: 1) lost, misdirected, misplaced, illegible, unintelligible, incomplete or late entries or 2) any act, failure to act, or delay regarding the transmitting or processing of entries. The City is not responsible for any technical delays in submission of emails, entries and/or uploads and updates.
11. The City further reserves the right to disqualify, from this Contest and future Contests of the City, any individual who tampers with or in any way corrupts the entry process. The City may prohibit an entrant from participating in the Contest or winning a prize if, in the City’s sole discretion, the City determines that said entrant is attempting to undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest by cheating, hacking, deception, or any unfair playing practices (including the use of automated quick entry programs) or intending to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other entrants or the City’s representatives. Any attempt by an entrant or any other individual to deliberately damage any website or undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest may be in violation of criminal and civil laws and should such an attempt be made, the City reserves the right to seek remedies and damages (including lawyers’ fees) from any such entrant or any other individual to the fullest extent permitted by law, including criminal prosecution.
12. The City reserves the right to modify these rules for the purpose of accommodation of entrants in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 (AODA).
13. By entering the Contest, each entrant agrees to hold harmless the City, its employees, agents and representatives from any and all damage, loss or liability, of any kind to persons or property due in whole or in part, directly or indirectly resulting from the entrant’s participation in this Contest, including the infringement of any other person’s intellectual property rights. The entrant also releases the City, its employees, agents, and representatives from all responsibility and liability for any damages, injuries, claims, causes of actions, or losses of any kind that the entrant may incur or suffer arising in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from, the use or misuse of any prize.
14. This Contest is subject to all applicable federal, provincial and municipal laws and regulations. These Contest rules are subject to change without notice in order to comply with any applicable federal, provincial and municipal laws or the policy of any other entity having jurisdiction over the Contest.
15. Any disputes arising from the Contest will be resolved in the courts of the Province of Ontario in accordance with the laws of the Province of Ontario.
16. This Contest is null and void where prohibited by law. Any dispute regarding the organizing or conduct of this Contest may be submitted, in writing to the Angelica Santos, Communications Advisor, Strategic Communications, Metro Hall, 12th Floor, 55 John St. West M5V 3C6.
17. All decisions of the City with respect to the interpretation of these rules are final.
18. For information on alternative accessibility options for submitting entries please email the City of Toronto’s Strategic Communications representative at or call 416-338-3379.