City of Toronto  
HomeContact UsHow Do I...?Advanced search
Living in TorontoDoing businessVisiting TorontoAccessing City Hall
 
Accessing City Hall
Mayor
Councillors
Meeting Schedules
   
   
  City of Toronto Council and Committees
  All Council and Committee documents are available from the City of Toronto Clerk's office. Please e-mail clerk@city.toronto.on.ca.
   

 

TORONTO

August 25, 1998

To:City of Toronto Community Council

From:Managing Director, Toronto Historical Board

Subject:Inclusion on the City of Toronto Inventory of Heritage Properties - - 145 Annette Street (Annette Library)

Purpose:

This report recommends that the property at 145 Annette Street (Annette Library) be included on the City of Toronto Inventory of Heritage Properties.

Funding Sources, Financial Implications and Impact Statement:

Not applicable.

Recommendations:

  1. That City Council state its intention to include the property at 145 Annette Street (Annette Library) on the City of Toronto Inventory of Heritage Properties.

2.That the appropriate officials be authorized to take whatever action is necessary to give effect hereto.

Background:

In October, 1996, the Toronto Historical Board (now known as Heritage Toronto) was requested to consider the property at 145 Annette Street (Annette Library) for inclusion on the City of Toronto Inventory of Heritage Properties. The property owner was advised of the request and wrote a letter supporting the inclusion of the property on the Inventory of Heritage Properties.

As outlined in the attached report to the Toronto Historical Board (dated November 26, 1996), staff researched and evaluated the property according to the Board's criteria; it is worthy of inclusion on the Inventory of Heritage Properties as a Neighbourhood Heritage Property (Category C).

Comments:

At its meeting of December 11, 1996, the Board recommended that the property be recommended for inclusion on the City of Toronto Inventory of Heritage Properties. The property at 145 Annette Street (Annette Library) is identified for architectural and historical reasons as the first public library built in West Toronto, a well-detailed example of Edwardian Classicism, and an important feature on Annette Street in the West Toronto neighbourhood.

Conclusion:

Heritage Toronto recommends that City Council include the property at 145 Annette Street (Annette Library) on the City of Toronto Inventory of Heritage Properties.

Contact Name:

Ms. Kathryn Anderson

Preservation Officer, Historical Preservation Division, Toronto Historical Board

Tel: 392-6827, ext. 239

Fax: 392-6834

George Waters,

Acting Managing Director

(g:\report\1998\cc98\cc98025.thb)

copy:

Councillor Chris Korwin-Kuczynski, Toronto City Hall, 100 Queen Street West, Suite 3, Toronto, M5H 2N2

Councillor David Miller, Metro Hall, 55 John Street, Suite 228, Toronto, M5V 3C6

TORONTO HISTORICAL BOARD

November 26, 1996

To:Toronto Historical Board

Subject:145 ANNETTE STREET -- INCLUSION ON THE CITY OF TORONTO

INVENTORY OF HERITAGE PROPERTIES

From:Managing Director, Toronto Historical Board (thb96098.hpd)

RECOMMENDATION

That the property at 145 Annette Street (Annette Library) be recommended for inclusion on the City of Toronto Inventory of Heritage Properties.

COMMENTS

1.Background:

In a letter dated October 8, 1996, Ms. Diana Fancher, President of the West Toronto Junction Historical Society, requested that the property at 145 Annette Street, known as the Annette Library, be considered for inclusion on the Inventory.

The Toronto Public Library was notified of this request in a letter dated October 21, 1996. In a letter dated November 22, 1996, the Toronto Public Library indicated that it supports inclusion.

2.Discussion:

A Property Research Summary is attached.

George E. Waters

Managing Director (Acting)

JC/RS:jc

Encl.Property Research Summary

Location Map

TORONTO HISTORICAL BOARD

PROPERTY RESEARCH SUMMARY

Address:145 Annette Street (southwest corner of Annette and Medland

Streets)

Ward:19

Current Name:Annette Library (Annette Street Branch, Toronto Public Library)

Historical Name:West Toronto Public Library

Construction Date:1908-09

Architect:Ellis and Connery

Contractor/Builder:Teagle and Son

Additions/

Alterations:1955, stone cornice removed and cement cornice added;

1962, interior renovations;

1979-1980, vestibule redesigned, entrance glazed, addition added to west side of building, and accessibility ramps added to north facade, Sillaste and Nakashima Architects

Original Owner:West Toronto Public Library Board

Original use:Public (library)

Current Use:*Public (library)

Heritage Category:Neighbourhood Heritage Property (Category C)

Recording Date:November 1996; revised August 1998

Recorder:HPD: JC/KA

* this does not refer to permitted use(s) as defined in the Zoning By-law

Description:

The property at 145 Annette Street is identified for architectural and historical reasons. The Annette Library was constructed in 1908-1909 according to the designs of the Toronto architectural firm of Ellis and Connery. Originally known as the West Toronto Public Library, its construction was partially funded by American steel magnate and philanthropist Andrew Carnegie.

The Annette Library is designed with features of Edwardian Classicism. Clad with orange-red brick and embellished with Ohio sandstone, the building rises one extended storey above a raised basement. The irregularly-shaped plan has projecting sections on the principal (north) and rear (south) facades. The building is covered by a flat roof with chimneys on the south slope. A stone cornice wraps around all four walls, while a continuous band course separates the basement level from the main floor.

On the principal facade, a projecting entrance block with a parapet is flanked by one-bay wings.

The entrance block is divided into three bays by Corinthian columns. The main entrance is centered in the wall. A stone doorcase with a broken pediment and keystone contains double doors. Above, a pair of flat-headed window openings are set in a stone surround with quoins and a keystone. On either side of the entrance, single flat-headed window openings are set midway in the wall and decorated with stone voussoirs, keystones and sills. The basement level has single window openings with stone lintels and sills. On either side of the entrance block, each wing is bounded by brick pilasters with stone capitals. In the main storey, a large single window opening has a stone surround with a lintel, keystone, quoins and sill, and contains a tripartite windows with transoms. A smaller version of the same opening is placed in the basement level.

The east wall facing Medland Street is similarly decorated with brick pilasters and two flat-headed window openings with stone detailing in the basement and main levels. On the west end of the building, a single-storey addition has complementary detailing but is not included as a significant heritage feature. The rear (south) elevation has a projecting centre bay with two pairs of segmentally arched window openings flanked by brick pilasters and ornamented by stone sills and voussoirs.

Situated on the southwest corner of Annette and Medland Streets, the Annette Library is one of four Carnegie libraries constructed in the City of Toronto. A good example of Edwardian Classicism, it is integral component of a streetscape of prominent churches, residences and public buildings in the West Toronto neighbourhood.

 

   
Please note that council and committee documents are provided electronically for information only and do not retain the exact structure of the original versions. For example, charts, images and tables may be difficult to read. As such, readers should verify information before acting on it. All council documents are available from the City Clerk's office. Please e-mail clerk@city.toronto.on.ca.

 

City maps | Get involved | Toronto links
City of Toronto 1998-2001