September 17, 1999
To: Planning and Transportation Committee
From: City Clerk (Scarborough Community Council)
Subject: New Practices for the Review of Development Applications
The Scarborough Community Council recommends that:
(1) the Commissioner of Urban Planning and Development Services be directed to:
(i) send by First Class Mail, notification of planning applications to tenants and owners within 400 feet of an
(ii) send by Third Class Mail, at the applicant=s expense, notification of planning applications to tenants and
owners beyond the 400 foot boundary, as may be determined by the local Community Council;
(2) site inspections on Site Plan Applications be continued in the East District, as previously carried out by the
former City of Scarborough, and that the Commissioner of Urban Planning and Development Services be directed
to continue to review internal operations to provide this service City-wide;
(3) telecommunications equipment not be exempted from the Site Plan Control process; and
(4) Recommendation No. (6) in the report of the Commissioner of Urban Planning and Development Services be
amended to read as follows:
A(6) staff be authorized to accept, as an alternative where site inspection resources are limited, certificates of
completion from Provincially registered professionals as proof of compliance with City requirements and Provincial
statutes with regard to site plan approval and condominium registration;@.
- 2 -
The Scarborough Community Council, at its meeting on September 14, 1999, had before it:
(1) a communication (July 30, 1999) from the City Clerk (Planning and Transportation Committee) referring a report (June
25, 1999) from the Commissioner of Urban Planning and Development Services respecting New Practices for the Review
of Development Applications, and requesting that Community Council hear public deputations thereon and forward its
comments to the Planning and Transportation Committee meeting scheduled to be held on October 4, 1999; and
(2) a communication (August 25, 1999) from the City Clerk (Planning and Transportation Committee) referring a
communication (July 30, 1999) from Councillor Filion suggesting amendments to the planning process with regard to the
proposed New Practices.
The following persons appeared before the Community Council in connection with the foregoing matter:
- Ms. Lois James, Toronto; and
- Mr. George Dawe, Toronto.
The Community Council also received a written submission (September 1, 1999) from Mr. Jim Murphy, Director of
Government Relations, Greater Toronto Home Builders' Association, a copy of which was provided to all Members of the
Community Council, and a copy thereof is on file in the Office of the City Clerk, Scarborough Civic Centre.
Ref: Item (b) in Clause No. 23, Report No. 11 of the Scarborough Community Council.