October 25, 1999
To: Planning and Transportation Committee
From: City Clerk, Toronto Community Council
Subject: Organizational Structure for the New Committee of Adjustment
The Toronto Community Council recommends that:
(1) the Committee of Adjustment meetings be held in the evening in the South District;
(2) the panels for the North, East and West Districts determine the times of the Committee of Adjustment meetings
in their areas;
(3) the member of the South District Committee of Adjustment panel be increased to 9; and
(4) the honoraria for members of the Committee of Adjustment reflect the present scale of the larger former
The Toronto Community Council reports, for the information of the Planning and Transportation Committee having requested:
(1) the Commissioner of Urban Planning and Development Services to report to the Planning and Transportation
Committee, for its meeting to be held on November 1, 1999 on:
(a) the provision of adequate staff resources necessary to evaluate Committee of Adjustment applications before they are heard;
(b) the adoption of a process by the Committee of Adjustment that would automatically grant an adjournment and an
evening hearing once for each application, should the Ward Councillor or the applicant request such an evening hearing;
(c) holding hearings in local communities on controversial matters (ie. matters that are likely to involve a number of witnesses);
(d) amending the criteria for appointments by:
(i) replacing the word, "broad" with the word, "demonstrated", and adding the word, "typical" before the words, "planning
issues", so that the additional second criterion would read:
"Any person applying for appointment shall have a demonstrated awareness of the range of community concerns and
typical planning issues in the District for which s/he is a Panel candidate."
(ii) adding a third additional criterion to read:
"Any person applying for appointment shall have demonstrated verbal and written skills as required for applicants for the
Toronto Licensing Tribunal."
(2) the Chief Administrative Officer to submit the previously requested report for per diems and honoraria for citizen
members of Agencies, Boards and Commissions, before the end of 1999.
Recommendation No. (1) was carried on the following division of votes:
Yeas: Councillors McConnell, Adams, Bossons, Bussin, Korwin-Kuczyski, Miller and Walker - 7
Nays: Councillors Disero, Fotinos, Jakobek, Pantalone and Silva - 5
The Toronto Community Council further reports that the ruling of the Chair in declaring the following motion by
Councillor Fotinos out of order, was upheld on the following division of votes:
AThat the Commissioner of Urban Planning and Development Services, in consultation with appropriate officials, report to
the appropriate Committee, in camera if necessary, on the establishment of a shift-work program which would provide staff
support to the Committee of Adjustment.@
Yeas: Councillors McConnell, Bussin, Miller, Pantalone and Walker - 5
Nays: Councillors Adams, Bossons, Disero and Fotinos - 4
The Toronto Community Council, on October 12, 1999, had before it a report (September 14, 1999) from the City Clerk,
Planning and Transportation Committee, respecting Organizational Structure for the New Committee of Adjustment.
The Toronto Community Council also had before it the following report/communications:
- September 24, 1999) from the Acting Commissioner of Urban Planning and Services - Further Report;
- (October 4, 1999) from Mr. Douglas Lee;
(October 8, 1999) from Mr. William J. Phillips, The South Rosedale Association;
- (October 8, 1999) from Mr. William H. Roberts, Swansea Area Ratepayers Association;
- (October 9, 1999) from Mr. Eric Douiville, The Annex Residents' Association;
- (October 8, 1999) from Ms. Diane Lea Coutts, ABC Residents' Association; and
October 12, 1999) from Mr. Peter de Auer, The North Rosedale Ratepayers' Association.
The following persons appeared before the Toronto Community Council in connection with the foregoing matter:
- Mr. Peter DeAuer, North York Rosedale Ratepayers' Association;
- Mr. William Phillips, South Rosedale Ratepayers' Association;
- Mr. Douglas H. Lee, Committee of Adjustment; and
Mr. George Hislop, Committee of Adjustment.
The Toronto Community Council's actions are noted above.
Toronto Community Council