Clothing Drop Boxes
Clothing Drop Box Operators who are not registered as a charitable or not-for-profit organization are required to obtain a clothing drop box licence.
Additionally, all clothing drop boxes placed on private property must display a permit:
- All clothing box operators require location permits for each box
- Only two drop boxes will be allowed per municipal address
- All clothing drop box operators, including charitable organizations, must display the permit sticker
Who Can Apply
Individuals, partnerships or corporations.
How To Apply
Please review application requirements outlined below and complete any required forms.
Visit the Licence & Permit Issuing Office at East York Civic Centre located at 850 Coxwell Ave, 3rd floor as applications must be processed in person.
Note: As of June 3, 2019, applications will not be accepted unless all documents are submitted.
Original documents required for all applications (and renewal transactions).
Two pieces of government-issued identification (one must be photo ID):
- Canadian Passport
- Driver’s Licence
- Canadian Birth Certificate
- Citizenship Card
- Permanent Resident Card
- SIN Card (Social Insurance Number)
- Valid Work Permit
- First and last names must match on all identification
- We do not accept Health Cards
All applicants must also provide the following:
- a business location/address
- a copy of provincial business name registration or signed franchise agreement
Corporations must also provide:
- a copy of Articles of Incorporation (Note: If there has been a change to the list of officers and directors, please also provide a current Corporate Profile Report or a Federal Form 6)
- the Annual Return for Corporation Form which lists all current directors & officers of the Corporation. This must be:
- original as copies will not be accepted
- signed by an officer/director of the Corporation. The Form cannot be signed by a designate of the Corporation.
If a director of the corporation is unable to apply in person at the Licence and Permit Issuing Office, a designate may apply on their behalf. The designate must:
- have an original letter advising of their signing authority on corporation letterhead, signed by a director of the corporation dated within 30 days
- provide two pieces of identification for themselves
- provide two pieces of identification for each officer and director of the corporation, or, if original identification is not available, notarized photocopies of the identification will also be accepted.
Criminal Record & Judicial Matters Check
Applicants must provide an original Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check issued by a Canadian Police Service within 280 days prior to the application.
A designate applying on behalf of a corporation must also provide a Criminal Record & Judicial Matters Check for each officer and director of the Corporation.
Clothing Drop Box Locations
Applicants must provide the municipal address(es) of site where the clothing drop box(es) will be located.
Site plans or surveys, identifying the location of the clothing drop box on the premises, must be provided.
Letter from Property Owner
A letter from the property owner or management company permitting the clothing drop box be erected, displayed, located or placed on the premises.
Applicant must submit a Declaration of Confirmation for Placement along with the letter from the property owner.
Applicant must sign a declaration that the owner has not been convicted more than three times for violations under the Clothing Drop Box Bylaw.
Charities, Religious Institutions or Non-profit Organizations
Applicants must advise if they are a charity, religious institution or non-profit organization by submitting a Declaration of Charitable Organization.
Charities must provide their registration number to be exempt from the requirements for obtaining a clothing drop box operator licence.
Clothing Drop Box Operator Licence fee: $549.95
Location permits for each box: $113.52
Additional fees below can be incurred through enforcement actions.
Clothing Drop Boxes Enforcement
If a clothing box does not have an easily visible permit sticker:
- A notice will be posted on non-stickered boxes on municipal or private property.
- If the box is not removed in seven days, the City will remove it at a cost of $300, plus $15 per day storage fee, charged to the property owner.
- An additional disposal fee for illegal clothing drop boxes of $80 per disposal can also be charged.
- Clothing drop boxes placed on the City’s right-of-way (streets, boulevards, sidewalks) without permission will be removed immediately.
- The City can revoke a permit if the property owner/operator has unpaid fines.
Licence Renewal Information
Your licence will expire annually on the anniversary of the date that the licence was first issued.
The renewal fee is $232.23 for Clothing Drop Box Operator.
The renewal fee is $113.52 for a location permit for each box.
A renewal notice, identifying any documents required to renew the licence, will be mailed to the address on file.
Payments received after the licence expiry date are subject to late fees in addition to the annual licence fee.
If you fail to renew your licence according to the bylaw, your licence will be cancelled and you will have to reapply.