Outdoor Marketing Stalls in Toronto/East York
Businesses can apply for an outdoor marketing display to display merchandise on the sidewalk in front of their business. The merchandise sold inside and outside must be the same.
Who Can Apply
Individuals, partnerships or corporations
How To Apply
Please review application requirements outlined below and complete any required forms.
Application materials can be obtained and submitted online for review by emailing email@example.com
Visit the Licence & Permit Issuing Office at East York Civic Centre located at 850 Coxwell Ave, 3rd floor as applications must be processed in person.
Note: As of June 3, 2019, applications will not be accepted unless all documents are submitted.
Original documents required for all applications (and renewal transactions).
Include two pieces of government-issued identification (one must be photo ID):
- Canadian Passport
- Driver’s Licence
- Canadian Birth Certificate
- Citizenship Card
- Permanent Resident Card
- SIN Card (Social Insurance Number)
- Valid Work Permit
- First and last names must match on all identification.
- We do not accept Health Cards.
All applicants must also provide the following:
- a business location/address
- a copy of provincial business name registration or signed franchise agreement
Corporations must also provide:
- a copy of Articles of Incorporation (Note: If there has been a change to the list of officers and directors, please also provide a current Corporate Profile Report or a Federal Form 6)
- the Annual Return for Corporation Form which lists all current directors & officers of the Corporation. This must be:
- original as copies will not be accepted
- signed by an officer/director of the Corporation. The Form cannot be signed by a designate of the Corporation.
If a director of the corporation is unable to apply in person at the Licence and Permit Issuing Office, a designate may apply on their behalf. The designate must:
- have an original letter advising of their signing authority on corporation letterhead, signed by a director of the corporation dated within 30 days
- provide two pieces of identification for themselves
- provide two pieces of identification for each officer and director of the corporation, or, if original identification is not available, notarized photocopies of the identification will also be accepted.
Sketches of Stalls, Awnings and/or Enclosure
All applications must include:
- Two copies of a detailed sketch showing all dimensions of the proposed marketing area and any awnings or enclosures.
- Measured distances between the proposed marketing area and the location of the street and City sidewalk, side property lines, fire hydrants, trees, and other permanent objects (i.e. hydro poles, tree pits, litter bins, etc.) on the street must be included.
- All measurements must be in metric.
All applications must include:
- Three photos of the boulevard stall, one from the front and one from each side; and
- Photos any awnings or enclosures
Description of Merchandise
A description of merchandise to be displayed.
Awning Fireproof Rating (if applicable)
If the marketing stall will have an awning, submit the following with your application:
- Certificate of Fireproof rating
- Mechanical specifications of the awning
- The awning checklist included in the application package.
Proof of at least $2,000,000 of comprehensive insurance against loss or damage resulting from bodily injury to or death of one or more persons, or from loss of or damage to property resulting from any one accident.
The completed insurance form must be signed and stamped by the insurer.
*All fees include HST
An additional fee for the permit is required once the application has been approved. This fee is based on a variety of factors, including where your patio will be located. *All fees include HST
Area & Rate Code 1 (Area 2 in the bylaw)
Area & Rate Code 2 (Area 1 in the bylaw)
Area & Rate Code 3
East York Fee
Rates are per square meter.
What Happens After You Apply
Applications take six to eight weeks to process. Staff will contact you once the process is complete.
Licence Renewal Information
Your licence will expire annually on the anniversary of the date that the licence was first issued.
The renewal fee will be calculated based on a variety of factors, including where your patio will be located.
A renewal notice, identifying any documents required to renew the licence, will be mailed to the address on file.
Payments received after the licence expiry date are subject to late fees in addition to the annual licence fee.
If you fail to renew your licence according to the bylaw, your licence will be cancelled and you will have to reapply.