Pedicab Owner & Driver
A pedicab is a vehicle that can be pulled or pushed by a person, with or without an electric motor. A pedal-powered rickshaw is also considered a pedicab. Both the pedicab owner and driver are required to be licensed. For example, if you own and drive a pedicab, you will need two licences – owner and driver.
Who Can Apply
Owners: Individuals, partnerships or corporations
How To Apply
Please review application requirements outlined below and complete any required forms.
Visit the Licence & Permit Issuing Office at East York Civic Centre located at 850 Coxwell Ave, 3rd floor as applications must be processed in person.
Note: As of June 3, 2019, applications will not be accepted unless all documents are submitted.
Original documents required for all applications (and renewal transactions).
Two pieces of government-issued identification (one must be photo ID):
- Canadian Passport
- Driver’s Licence
- Canadian Birth Certificate
- Citizenship Card
- Permanent Resident Card
- SIN Card (Social Insurance Number)
- Valid Work Permit
- First and last names must match on all identification
- We do not accept Health Cards
All applicants must also provide the following:
- a business address;
- a copy of provincial business name registration;
Corporations must also provide:
- a copy of Articles of Incorporation (Note: If there has been a change to the list of officers and directors, please also provide a current Corporate Profile Report or a Federal Form 6)
- the Annual Return for Corporation Form which lists all current directors & officers of the Corporation. This must be:
- original as copies will not be accepted
- signed by an officer/director of the Corporation. The Form cannot be signed by a designate of the Corporation
If a director of the corporation is unable to apply in person at the Licence & Permit Issuing Office, a designate may apply on their behalf. The designate must:
- have an original letter advising of their signing authority on corporation letterhead, signed by a director of the corporation dated within 30 days
- provide two pieces of identification for themselves
- provide two pieces of identification for each officer and director of the corporation, or, if original identification is not available, notarized photocopies of the identification will also be accepted
Note: The designate will not be able to sign the Annual Return Form.
Criminal Record & Judicial Matters Check
Applicants must provide an original Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check issued by a Canadian Police Service within 280 days prior to the application.
A designate applying on behalf of a corporation must also provide a Criminal Record & Judicial Matters Check for each officer and director of the Corporation.
Driving Record Abstract
A copy of the applicant’s driving record abstract: a three year driving history recorded by the Ministry of Transportation.
This record should be less than 30 days old.
Photograph of Pedicab
Only Applies to Owners
Provide a photograph of the pedicab or portable display unit.
Only Applies to Owners
Applicants must provide proof of $2,000,000 in Commercial General Liability (CGL) insurance.
The completed insurance form must be signed and stamped by the insurer.
Staff will take a photo of the applicant, if a Sole Proprietor, at the Licence & Permit Issuing Office.
Examples of Pedicabs
What Happens After You Apply
After a completed application and all documents are submitted, staff will determine whether there are concerns with the applicant obtaining a licence.
Licence Renewal Information
Your licence will expire annually on the anniversary of the date that the licence was first issued.
The renewal fee for drivers is $299.05
The renewal fee for owners is $287.02
A renewal notice, identifying any documents required to renew the licence, will be mailed to the address on file.
Payments received after the licence expiry date are subject to late fees in addition to the annual licence fee.
If you fail to renew your licence according to the bylaw, your licence will be cancelled and you will have to reapply.