Sidewalk Patio Toronto/East York
Restaurant/cafe owners can apply for a sidewalk patio (boulevard cafe) permit to allow them to serve on the public right-of-way (sidewalk). If you have a new business licence for an establishment with an existing permit, the new owner must apply for a new permit.
Who Can Apply?
Individuals, partnerships or corporations.
How to Apply
Please review application requirements outlined below and complete any required forms.
Visit the Licence & Permit Issuing Office at East York Civic Centre located at 850 Coxwell Ave, 3rd floor to submit your application in person.
Application materials may also be obtained and submitted online for review by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: As of June 3, 2019, applications will not be accepted unless all documents are submitted.
Original documents required for all applications (and renewal transactions).
Include two pieces of government-issued identification (one must be photo ID):
- Canadian Passport
- Driver’s Licence
- Canadian Birth Certificate
- Citizenship Card
- Permanent Resident Card
- SIN Card (Social Insurance Number)
- Valid Work Permit
- First and last names must match on all identification.
- We do not accept Health Cards.
Sketch of Proposed Patio and any Awnings and Enclosures
All applications must include:
- 3 copies of a detailed sketch showing all dimensions of the proposed patio any awnings or enclosures;
- Measured distances between the proposed patio fence and the location of the street and City sidewalk, side property lines, fire hydrants, trees, and other permanent objects on the street must be included.
- All measurements must be in metric.
All applications must include:
- Three photos of the proposed patio area; one from the front and one from each side
- Photos of any awnings or enclosures.
Awning Fireproof Rating (if applicable)
If the patio will have an awning, submit the following with your application:
- Certificate of Fireproof rating
- Mechanical specifications of the awning
- The awning checklist included in the application package.
Proof of at least $2,000,000 of comprehensive insurance against loss or damage resulting from bodily injury to or death of one or more persons, or from loss of or damage to property resulting from any one accident.
The completed insurance form must be signed and stamped by the insurer.
East York: $65.22
*All fees include HST
An additional fee for the permit is required once the application has been approved. This fee is based on a variety of factors, including where your patio will be located. *All fees include HST
Area & Rate Code 1 (Area 2 in the bylaw): $94.26
Area & Rate Code 2 (Area 1 in the bylaw): $47.12
Area & Rate Code 3: $23.58
East York Fee: $25.66
Rates are per square meter.
What Happens After You Apply
Applications take six to eight weeks to process. Staff will contact you once the process is complete.
Licence Renewal Information
Your licence will expire annually on the anniversary of the date that the licence was first issued.
The renewal fee will be calculated based on a variety of factors, including where your patio will be located
A renewal notice, identifying any documents required to renew the licence, will be mailed to the address on file.
Payments received after the licence expiry date are subject to late fees in addition to the annual licence fee.
If you fail to renew your licence according to the bylaw, your licence will be cancelled and you will have to reapply.