Arcades & Pay-to-Play Places of Amusement
Places of Amusement include a range of businesses which require a licence to operate, including:
- Music halls
- Places with video or/games places
- Public halls
- Live theatre
- Roller-skating rinks
- Movie theatre
- Carousels, merry-go-rounds
- Escape Rooms
- Roller coasters
- Wax-work exhibitions
- Circuses and traveling shows
Individuals, partnerships or corporations.
Apply in person at the Licence and Permit Issuing Office located inside the East York Civic Centre, 850 Coxwell, 3rd floor.
Original Documents required for all applications (and renewal transactions).
Two pieces of government-issued identification (one must be photo ID):
- Canadian Passport (Photo ID)
- Driver’s Licence (Photo ID)
- Canadian Birth Certificate
- Citizenship Card
- Permanent Resident Card
- SIN Card (Social Insurance Number)
- Valid Work Permit
- First and last names must match on all identification
- We do not accept Health Cards
What Corporations & Partnerships Need to Apply:
- a business location/address;
- a copy of provincial business name registration or signed franchise agreement; and
- a partnership agreement
- Or, a copy of Articles of Incorporation (Note: If there has been a change to the list of officers and directors, please also provide a current Corporate Profile Report.)
If the president, director or officer of the corporation are unable to apply in person at the Licence & Permit Issuing Office, a designate may apply on their behalf. The designate must:
- have an original letter advising of their signing authority on the corporation letterhead;
- provide two pieces of identification for themselves; and
- provide two pieces of identification for each officer and director of the corporation, or, if original identification is not available, notarized photocopies of the identification.
Applicants must provide an original criminal record/background check issued by a Canadian Police Service within 280 days prior to the application.
Note: A criminal record/background check is required for all corporate officers and directors.
Prior to submitting an application, you must apply to for a Preliminary Project Review for Business Licence (LPR).
Applicants must provide proof of $1,000,000 in Commercial General Liability (CGL) insurance.
A form certificate will be provided at time of application for your insurance provider to complete.
Original completed forms that are signed and stamped by the insurer by fax and email directly from the insurer.
Applicants wishing to obtain a traveling show licence, and who plan to hire residents of the City of Toronto, must provide proof that these workers are covered under the Workplace Health & Safety Act.
Your licence will expire annually on the anniversary of the date that the licence was first issued.
The renewal fee is $239.30
A renewal notice, identifying any documents required to renew the licence, will be mailed to the address on file.
Payments received after the licence expiry date are subject to late fees in addition to the annual licence fee.
If you fail to renew your licence within 90 days of the specified renewal date, your licence will be cancelled and you will have to reapply.