Boats for Hire
Protecting your privacy is top priority for the City of Toronto. You are seeing this alert because your web browser needs to be updated to access content on toronto.ca. You will need to download and install a more recent version of your web browser to use our website.
An individual who rents out boats or rides on boats for money is required to obtain a licence.
Individuals, partnerships and corporations.
Apply in person at the Licensing and Issuing Office, 850 Coxwell Ave, located on the 3rd floor of the East York Civic Centre.
Original documents required for all applications (and renewal transactions):
Two pieces of government-issued identification (one must be photo ID):
- Canadian Passport (photo ID)
- Driver’s Licence (photo ID)
- Canadian Birth Certificate
- Citizenship Card
- Permanent Resident Card
- SIN Card (Social Insurance Number)
- Valid Work Permit
- First and last names must match on all identification
- We do not accept Health Cards
Partnerships and Corporations must provide the following:
- a business location/address
- a copy of provincial business name registration or signed franchise agreement
- a partnership agreement
- a copy of Articles of Incorporation (Note: If there has been a change to the list of officers and directors, please also provide a current Corporate Profile Report.)
If the president, director or officer of the corporation is unable to apply in person, a designate may apply on their behalf. The designate must:
- have an original letter advising of their signing authority on the corporation letterhead
- provide two pieces of identification for themselves
- provide two pieces of identification for each officer and director of the corporation, or, if original identification is not available, notarized photocopies of the identification.
Applicants must provide an original criminal record/background check issued by a Canadian Police Service within 280 days prior to the application.
Note: A criminal record/background check is required for all corporate officers and directors.
Your licence will expire annually on the anniversary of the date that the licence was first issued.
The renewal fee is $237.99
A renewal notice, identifying any documents required to renew the licence, will be mailed to the address on file.
Payments received after the licence expiry date are subject to late fees in addition to the annual licence fee.
If you fail to renew your licence within 90 days of the specified renewal date, your licence will be cancelled and you will have to reapply.