Body Rub Parlour
Body rub parlours are any place where non-medical or non-therapeutic massaging services are provided by someone other than registered massage therapists, or other licensed or registered holistic practitioners.
Those who own or operate body rub parlours are required to have a Body Rub Parlour licence.
Individuals, partnerships and corporations.
Applicants must be 18 years or older to apply.
Apply in person at the Licence and Permit Issuing Office, located inside the East York Civic Centre, 850 Coxwell, 3rd floor.
Original documents required for all applications (and renewal transactions).
Two pieces of government-issued identification (one must be photo ID):
- Canadian Passport (photo ID)
- Driver’s Licence (photo ID)
- Canadian Birth Certificate
- Citizenship Card
- Permanent Resident Card
- SIN Card (Social Insurance Number)
- Valid Work Permit
- First and last names must match on all identification
- We do not accept Health Cards
Partnerships and/or corporations must provide the following:
- a business location/address;
- a copy of provincial business name registration or signed franchise agreement; and
- a partnership agreement
- a copy of Articles of Incorporation (Note: If there has been a change to the list of officers and directors, please also provide a current Corporate Profile Report.)
If the president, director or officer of the corporation is unable to apply in person a designate may apply on their behalf.
The designate must:
- have an original letter advising of their signing authority on the corporation letterhead;
- provide two pieces of identification for themselves; and
- provide two pieces of identification for each officer and director of the corporation, or, if original identification is not available, notarized photocopies of the identification.
Applicants must provide an original criminal record/background check issued by a Canadian Police Service within 280 days prior to the application.
Note: A criminal record/background check is required for all corporate officers and directors.
Applicants will also be required to provide the following:
- list of attendants/body rubbers who will work at the Body Rub Parlour
- list of services that will be provided, and their cost;
- list of managers
- floor plan of the premises
- copy of all written contracts of service or other document pertaining to the relationship between the body rub owner and/or operator and body rubber;
- sales agreement
- business plan
Staff will take photo of the applicant at the Licence and Permit Issuing Office.
Prior to submitting an application, you must apply to for a Preliminary Project Review for Business Licence (LPR).
Staff will conduct a property inspection once a complete application is submitted.
The application will be reviewed by the Toronto Licensing Tribunal to determine whether or not the application should be granted.
Applicants are not required to take any further actions at this stage.
The number of body rub parlour licences issued within Toronto is limited to 25.
The City of Toronto has 25 licensed body rub parlours and is no longer accepting new applications.
Your licence will expire annually on the anniversary of the date that the licence was first issued.
The renewal fee is $12,897.37
A renewal notice, identifying any documents required to renew the licence, will be mailed to the address on file.
Payments received after the licence expiry date are subject to late fees in addition to the annual licence fee.
If you fail to renew your licence within 90 days of the specified renewal date, your licence will be cancelled and you will have to reapply.